5.0 doesn't fire on first crank

89VertLX

Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Hey,

I know this is a minor beef, but the stang started doing something over the last couple of weeks. After it has sat for several hours, my 89 5.0 won't fire when I first try to crank it over. If I stop cranking and then try it again it will fire right up on the second try. Once running, it idles just fine, and I haven't noticed any difference in the way it runs.

Before this, I was amazed that it *always* fired on the first crank, regardless of how long it had been sitting. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sam in Denver
89 Vert LX 5.0
71K original miles, bone stock

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem with my 302 F150, I replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and changed the oil...... problem solved! It turns out that the fuel filter was so pluged it wasn't getting proper pressure until the fuel pump had gone through two pressurization cycles.

Good Luck Hope That Helps!

yep, i might try to figure out why. a FP gauge on the schrader valve might help. next time, turn the key to on, let the pump prime, turn key off and back on (you get it, prime the pump a couple times before your first attempt to start). then try it - if it starts on the first try, you have a fuel pumping issue and/or too much bleed.

good luck.