5.0 Fuel Efficeincy

• Sponsors (?)

wow u are really lucky if you are getting 22 mpg...i get about 16-18 on the freeway and abotu 12-14 in the city :notnice: . if you start doing mods such as cam and other major things your mpg will go down quite a bit, but pulleys might give you a little better gas milage, but nothing significant.

My GT averages 23.6-24.5mpg. I drive 63miles round trip M-F, mostly interstate with about 10-12miles of city driving per day. I only have the mods in sig, and 158k miles. FWIW I added the u-drives and 180* t-stat at the same time and gained 1-1.5mpg in average.

The Merc gets 22mpg on the highway with the A/C on!

I get about 22-23 on interstates and 15-17 in town. A/C doesn't seem to have any effect on mine.

Last year, on a very long trip using cruise control, I got 25.4mpg. Lots of cops the whole way so I stuck it on 74 and took it easy.

Good luck on the gas pedal idea! With each mod I add, that gas pedal goes down more frequently. :)

Yeah, I know it's kinda a strange question in a stang forum because if we wanted fuel efficiency, we would be driving honda CRX's, right? But gas just broke $2.50 where I'm at and every little bit helps.... :jaw: Plus, it gives me a good justification to explain to my parents why I'm spending money on modding my car out instead of school :D

It is VERY rare that I get less than 20mpg combined. I drive my car pretty hard, and on the expressway I cruise at about 80mph.

My mpg actually increased in the city when I went to 3.73 gears. :flag:

I got 26mpg on a 100% highway trip to kansas last year, cruise set at 75mph. :nice:

Its when you do a bunch of mods that your mpg will go down. Forced induction, stroker kit, H/C/I all will hurt fuel efficiency. More hp = more air = more fuel = less fuel mileage, but def more fun.

i get about 17 on a mixture of about 1/2 city and 1/2 highway. on the highway i see about 23. but my adjustable fuel pressure regulator was bad and had a small leak which i'm sure didn't help. i just replaced it with a stocker today and filled it up. i'll know in about 5 days what my new mileage is.

then again, that is with 3.73s and my speedo is off, so the odometer is off too, so who knows if it is really 17 miles or not ...

Bottle of fuel injection cleaner once in a while makes a big dif. (only 99 cents at o'reilys) u/d pulleys and k&n air filter will help.
But most importantly, keep you foot off the gas pedal

My personal best is 21mpg in all city driving :nice: