Engine 5.0 lifter tap until oil pressure gets up. Adjustment possible?

JohnW63

Jan 9, 2022
Southern California
As mentioned in a thread about EEC troubleshooting, my Dad has a 65 Mustang with a much more modern 5.0 in it. I have not been able to find an exact year for it. It was purchased from Ford, as a long block with aluminum heads. If he has 30K on this engine I would be surprised. It's a go to the car club meets nice weekend drive car.

Over the last 2 years or so, a lifter has begun to tap when the car fires up from cold. He found out from a local mechanic that those motors don't have adjustments for the rocker arms.
What can be done to fix this sort of tap? Shims? Different length push rod? Could the lifter just need to be replaced?

• Sponsors (?)

More than likely the lifter needs to be replaced. If they are pedestal mount rockers they aren't really adjustable except with shims. When replacing just the lifter the shim that's there now will be OK as long as same pushrod is used.

I really don't know anything about the engine, other than what my Dad as told me and I have repeated here. When he took it to a local guy to fix, he learned it was not adjustable, like our old stuff. On all the other cars in our garages we would do the work but this was something outside Dad's comfort level. He turned 80 a few weeks ago, to he took it to someone. Now, it may be I am the someone.

I guess a Seafoam treatment may not hurt, assuming it works as well as they say. I've never used it. How does the Seafoam you spray in the intake clean out a lifter? Seems like that would be deep in the oil splashing around area and not in the combustion area,

"Back in the Day" we would change the oil using 2 or more quarts of ATF fluid.... Then drain it ... Fixed alot of Car lot motors that way at the service station I worked at thru High School.....

Well the atf thing is old sckool, the old stuff had detergents not so much the new stuff, you'd have to get some F type or similar, I'm not up on the chemical makeup of the new stuff, that's why I suggested the seafoam. I watched the guys at the shop use it to help noisy lifters. All I can do is give you my recent observations from hang'n with the guys at the shop.
It could be a worn push rod, rocker arm or a piece of crap stuck in the oil hole of the lifter, worn lifter roller or a wiped out cam lobe, the cheap easy fix first. Hope for the best, prepare for the worsf.

With as little miles on the engine, I would hope for the easiest fix. I replaced all the lifters on my 289 because they were noisy after the " 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after zero lash. " setting didn't work out. They were fine. It's getting anyone to agree what Zero Lash means to them that is important. If the SeaFoam doesn't help, I'll have to get out the stethoscope and figure out which lifter it is.

Oh, from an earlier remark... I had the car up on a lift and used a flashlight with a mirror and didn't see any of the marks for the date code. I guess I can pull the starter to be sure.

How close to the right year do I need to get the right push road or lifter from a parts place?

Well the atf thing is old sckool, the old stuff had detergents not so much the new stuff, you'd have to get some F type or similar, I'm not up on the chemical makeup of the new stuff, that's why I suggested the seafoam. I watched the guys at the shop use it to help noisy lifters. All I can do is give you my recent observations from hang'n with the guys at the shop.
Thanks for updating me...LOL... I didn't think about the newer ATF formulations... As said above, ATF " was" an oil that had alot of detergents in it that worked out well for cleaning the internal parts of an engine..... The Sea Foam might be a better Modern option....

Reactions: 1 user
"there’s a good chance a replacement lifter would do the same thing."

Why would you think that, Pushrod?
Some of the replacement lifters aren’t much better.

I’d try the seafoam treatment, can’t hurt.

But honestly if it goes away when it gets some heat In it I’d let it be. Take it out and beat the :poo: out of it, might get better.

Reactions: 1 users