66 overheating solved

pazcarguy

New Member
Mar 30, 2005
65
0
0
Pittsburgh, PA
I posted a week ago about my car overheating (66 289 coupe, 11.5~ 1 CR. Got as hot as 220~230 before I shut it down at ambient temp outside of 40~42 degress F. I installed new 3 core HD copper rad, 3.5" shroud, 160 degree thermostat and a high volume water pump. Still got hot. Fan was properly spaced in shroud and thermostat was good and working correctly, radiator was burped and free of air. Pulled my hair out for a while then I talked to a sprint car racing friend of mine. Told him what I had done and he asked what type fan I was running. I had a 6 blade flex fan from Summit on it. He told me to change that and everything should work. I was a little skeptical but I t :banana: ook his advice and bought a new 6 blade steel universal fan, bolted it on and car runs at 170 degrees F with outside temp of 75 degrees today. Idled for 15 minutes and temp never moved. Hope this helps people out there, opened my eyes up. Brian
 
The clutch disengages when the fan is not needed (higher RPMs usually = higher car velocity which = airflow through the radiator). At lower RPM in traffic when temp rises the fan then engages and cools.

You actually gain HP (I've heard as much as 20) and mileage by the fan not robbing power from the motor.
 
65fastback2+2 said:
see, i never understand this, how will it cool BETTER with a mechanism attached that SLOWS the fan down?

It only slows the fan down when the RPM is above idle. Which generally means the vehicle is in motion and thus does not need the fan. A fan is only needed for when the car is not in motion, or moving very slowly.

Only problem with a clutch fan is that the clutch wears out over time... especially if your engine regularly see's high RPM.
 
reply to questions

Original fan that I removed was an aftermarket 6 blade ss flex. no manufacturer data found. Replaced with a flex alite 6 blade steel race fan from Summit, $31.00 included shipping. Original fan "sucked" from day 1, car now runs cool