67 wiring advice-100 amp alt + factory volt reg? Will it work?

I've got a 67 with a 61 amp alternator hooked up in 3 wire configuration with a factory style (but repro) voltage regulator that reports it is "externally identical to the original factory part but internally built to be used with a 61 amp alternator".

My question - can I use a 100 amp alternator with the set-up? All engine compartment wiring has been upgraded previously with Painless harnesses so my only real concern is blowing out the regulator.

Any experience on this - I need the extra juice - thanks I really appreciate any help!--Steph

• Sponsors (?)

No, you need a 100 amp regulator. I have the same setup in my 70. 100 amp alternator, Regulator out of an early 80's E350 (100 amp), and an extra wire running from the alternator to the battery post, AT LEAST 8 gauge if not 6.

It works great.

If yer gonna go and swap out the alternator anyways, why not put in a G3 or G4 alternator ? You can get rid of the external regulator and have 1 less thing hanging out on your firewall plus you will get a higher output out of those anyways.

A 100 amp alternator will work, but you have to change all the wiring to thicker wires.
Yes, you can get a 100 amp alternator. If fact, that is a good idea if you are running any whoopty doo stereo equipment. But, You will absolutely have to change the size of the wiring. According to USCG wiring chart a 100 Amp circuit with a conductor length of 10 feet (5 feet on the + side and 5 feet on the negative side) you would need 4 gauge wire. For 15 or 20 feet you need 2 gauge and for 25 feet you need 1 gauge wire.

Alternator + regulator = system you can put as big of an alternator in as you would like but the 61 amp regulator is only good for 61 amps when you exceed that number you will burn the thing up.

Having an alternator that can DELIVERY up to 100 amps shouldn't be a problem. The alternator will only deliver what the load applied to it requires. For example when starting, the battery cables handle the high amperage (usually they are #2 or #1 gauge) the remainder of the wiring will only carry the amperage drawn by the load, lights, radio etc. Just because the alternator is rated at 100 amps, that does not mean that it puts out 100 amps