Electrical 6p148a rebuild?

Magnet86

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2018
Hagerstown, MD
Hello, all:
Need good advice. My factory original AC compressor was rebuilt in 2015 and ran good for about three years. It died in 2018. I tried to have the system recharged but it wouldn't hold. I've had leaks before and that usually solved the problem. This time the valve on the manifold leaked and once repaired the system worked. But then of course after winter it stopped working. Last year went to a local garage to recharge but the compressor is now leaking. Not locked up or so they said. They put dye in it and the leak was at the body seam right in the middle of the compressor. Didn't know there really was a seam there. If that's the case I'd say the compressor is shot. If not, I'd like to rebuild it with new seals and whatever else it may need. Any thoughts? I saw the dye come out myself. UV stuff. I'd guess its locked. Before I went to garage route I tried to add coolant but the system would not take any. As these compressor are getting hard to find and I like originality, I need options before I spend big dollars. Its already getting hot. And this is the last thing to fix before paint. Thanks everyone.

• Sponsors (?)

@74stang2togo
Explain to this member what black death is please.
20200610_184402.jpg

This is why @LaserSVT @90sickfox myself, and others that do this for a living tell you guys to do the full A/C job when you do it.

This came out of a BMW 535 that didn't have any signs or symptoms of catastrophic failure of the A/C compressor, just a clutch that didn't engage (and I wasn't putting a new clutch on an eight-year-old compressor, and damned sure wasn't going to replace just the compressor).

All of that gray/silver is metal shavings. This receiver/drier cartridge caught it and kept it out of the rest of the system (the hoses and expansion valve are/were clean).

Last edited by a moderator:
@74stang2togo
Explain to this member what black death is please.
Black death was a pandemic in Eurasia and North Africa in the 14th century. Not sure how that's relevant here... :shrug:

Oh, you mean THAT black death!

Well, you see, when an A/C compressor fails, it rarely dies a "clean" death. Even if the hoses appear to be clean, debris is frequently trapped elsewhere, usually in the receiver/drier, orifice tube, condensor, or evaporator.

This is why when a good automotive technician replaces a compressor, he replaces the receiver/drier and orifice tube/expansion valve with it, and flushes the hoses, condensor, and evaporator to the extent possible. Not doing so means you'll leave something behind, like the image in the quote @General karthief posted of a drier cartridge I pulled out of a 2011 BMW 535 last week when doing the compressor on it. That compressor wasn't locked up, it was just leaking pag oil and refrigerant from the seal behind the pulley and had a failed clutch, but either it or a compressor before it had filled that drier with trash. Luckily, that drier is possibly the best-designed piece on that car, and caught 100% of the trash from the compressor failure.

Attachments

• 6p148acompressor 4.pdf
    271.8 KB · Views: 104
I just replaced my compressor( factory) with a brand new unit from rockauto$244 total,exact fit and function.p.s. I l ive on the surface of the sun Nevada and I got cold as a witches tit a.c. Now.

I ordered a seal kit on rockauto but for some reason the seals for the compressor body were way too big. I returned it and found a kit elsewhere online. It fit great and all was nice and cold.

Reactions: 1 user