70mm throttle body upgrade?

Currently have the stock 56mm throttle body on my 95 302. Upgrades in consideration of airflow is a BBK cold air intake, BBK headers, and aftermarket exhaust and mufflers (not positive about the brand, definitely aftermarket with better than stock airflow though). I have a 70mm throttle body laying around, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to throw it on and try it. The car seems to rev pretty slowly from 1000-3000rpm, so i am hoping to find a bit more responsiveness in that area. No internal engine upgrades, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

stock intake manifold.. also have a set of long tube headers that will be installed this summer... I've heard that as little as a cold air intake and long tube headers + exhaust upgrade is enough to compliment the 70mm throttle body regardless of the intake manifold. is this false?

You still have stock e7 heads. You can only do so much with those plus the stock manifold.

Think of an hourglass. The narrow part is your heads. You can have the biggest TB and exhaust but you can only get so much through the heads/intake.

I've ran a 70mm TB since 1989. Stock intake with the hole blended by me....which back then seems scary..lol. Excellent response and zero negatives. Long tubes are overkill. I've made great HP with several engines and never once needed the other 6hp that they give you....not to mention all the pita you pay for that.

As far as poor throttle response, what's your base timing set at? Adequate fuel pressure? Good fuel flow? My 100% stock powertrain responds very quick off idle.

A chip is a waste of money. Your stock computer can handle quite a bit before that is necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user