75 mm throttle body on Cobra intake?

• Sponsors (?)

Taken from this article.

The GT40/Cobra/Explorer intake entrances can easily be ported to 70mm, which brings us to our next throttle body size, the 70mm. If you don't want to do any porting whatsoever, stick with a 65mm throttle body on your GT40 style intake. Most aftermarket intakes have at least a 70mm entrance, and usually 75mm. The 70mm throttle body has an effective area of 3,149 mm², a 52.7% increase over stock.

If you don't mind heavily porting your GT40 style intake entrance, you can go all the way up to 75mm. Likewise, several aftermarket intake manifolds already come with a 75mm entrance. The 75mm throttle body has an effective area of 3,668 mm², which is an increase of 77.9% over stock.

What throttle body do you have now? If a 65mm or 70mm, i wouldn't spend the money to go to a 75mm TB at all. Put that money elsewhere.

I run a 65mm on my 93 cobra intake with TFS170 heads. I did buy a 70mm for it, but haven't put it on yet.

..i dont have one. But i can get a 75mm BBK on marketplace very inexpensive compared to buying a new 65mm..Thanks for this...I understand the cobra intake is 65mm...would there be any negative issue going 75mm?

I would skip the BBK, save my money and get an Accufab. Question is whether to get a 65mm or 70mm. If you are going to leave thing pretty much stock and stay with a 302 inch motor then 65mm.

The issue I would have with the 75mm on an unported upper is the mismatch between the opening on the upper and the trottle body which would create some hella turbulent air flow into the upper. I try and maximize everything I can as hp is not cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought the Accufab. It's a damn fine piece. Only reason i didn't buy a 65mm is because i felt like if i was spending the $$ i might as well allow for future growth. HP difference between a 65mm and 70mm are likely nil on a N/A car.

One thing to be weary of is what's called "tip-in stumble" that occurs in off-idle situations. It's been debating that a large throttle body and it's larger blade creates a very sensitive situation when coming off idle, because it doesn't take much to let more air in. This can be tuned out, but if you are running a stock tune you may have issues with it. Hit or miss, some folks stick a 90mm and claim they don't have a problem.

For better drivability, the smaller TB might give you better "resolution" when driving at near idle conditions. For a race car that spends it's time at WOT...it doesn't matter.

Keep your project simple at this point and run a 65.
If money is an issue isn't there a way to convert an explorer TB?
Accufab is easily the highest quality, but I wouldn't be buying one for P heads.

The swap is easy with a grinder with a flap wheel or grinding disc and a welder (or have someone do a simple tack for you). Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.

You will need your stock TB and the Explorer one

Thanks for the response. So out of all the brands...BBK, Professional products etc.. you recommend Accufab...should I steer clear of the others even on a good deal?

Stay away from the Professional Products. The BBK is fine. Accufab is a lot more money, and unneccesary. I've never seen any problems with an oversize throttle body like 75mm. The toughest part is getting the inlet hose on that big throttle body.

Kurt

I had a 70 mm BBK along with their cold air intake, threw it all in the trash after a year and went with an Accufab and Power Pipe with Pro-M MAF. Night and day difference, go with Accufab or save your money.
You had a BBK cold air intake with which MAF? I've had the same 70mm BBK/Edelbrock throttle body on my car for 23 years now and it works absolutely fine. I've never had to fix anything on it. Your results might be atypical, and this is not the place to air your grievance.

Kurt