77 Ghia 2.3 To 5?

johnnywade

Sep 20, 2016
Ok I have a 77 2.3 and like everyone else I want more power. I would love to put a late 80s or newer 302 in it. What is my best choice in doing this without doing body mods, is it even possible? I seen some posts about 2.3l turbo swaps. I seen that it may be possible if done with a T5 transmission? Sadly my budget is limited.

• Sponsors (?)

A 2.3 or 5.0 can be done with *0* body mods. To swap to a 302/5.0 will require V8 motor mounts which are harder than #3!! to find. You may have luck searching Ebay or different classified forums, maybe some scrap yards, but finding them is no easy task. Exhaust can be an issue as well. A 2.3T wouldn't be bad since you already have the 2.3, but be prepared to spend a little bit of $ - power doesn't come cheap! ;) You could try for an Ecoboost 2.3, but you'll want all of the wiring and ECM that's associated out of a donor, and that's only guessing that it could be mounted without fabrication of motor mounts or anything else. I don't know if anything exists as far as off the shelf parts that would make it work easily, but it would certainly be interesting! I can only imagine how fun that would be in a II! The Ecoboost sounds pretty respectable in the new Mustang - now install it in II which weighs about 1000 pounds less and let the fun begin! It probably wouldn't be a budget swap though. A Turbo Coupe or SVO 2.3T style Lima 4 would bolt right in....

A 2.3 or 5.0 can be done with *0* body mods. To swap to a 302/5.0 will require V8 motor mounts which are harder than #3!! to find. You may have luck searching Ebay or different classified forums, maybe some scrap yards, but finding them is no easy task. Exhaust can be an issue as well. A 2.3T wouldn't be bad since you already have the 2.3, but be prepared to spend a little bit of $ - power doesn't come cheap! ;) You could try for an Ecoboost 2.3, but you'll want all of the wiring and ECM that's associated out of a donor, and that's only guessing that it could be mounted without fabrication of motor mounts or anything else. I don't know if anything exists as far as off the shelf parts that would make it work easily, but it would certainly be interesting! I can only imagine how fun that would be in a II! The Ecoboost sounds pretty respectable in the new Mustang - now install it in II which weighs about 1000 pounds less and let the fun begin! It probably wouldn't be a budget swap though. A Turbo Coupe or SVO 2.3T style Lima 4 would bolt right in....

I have read in other forums that to do a 302 swap it also requires a II specific (smaller) bell housing and fly wheel to fit under firewall and Trans tunnel. Is this the case?

I don't think that's necessarily the case. I have been able to squeeze a non-II C4 bell into the tunnel. Others have done so as well as installed AODs. It can be done, it just further limits the room you have, specifically for your exhaust. You might have to do a little massaging of the tunnel depending on what route you go with a bell. It would depend on how large the bell really is. I have a II specific bell between my 302 and T5, but it's mainly because I had my engine balanced and didn't want to get rid of my flywheel because of it. If I could've done it differently, I probably would've done some homework and went with a later model flywheel and bellhousing. There are definitely more clutch choices that way.....

5.0's can be simple to install. If you go on Ebay or summit, you can find motor mounts maybe for the II or another year mustang and fabricate them in. If you chose to use the C4, a regular c4 will be able to fit, but a little tight. I have one from a '69 mustang, and the bellhousing sits close to the trans tunnel and fire wall. other than that, you will have to find Mustang 2 long tube headers, I believe I have them from Hooker, or you can probable get away with shorty or hugger headers. Not sure about the stock 302 exhaust manifold since I ripped that off and put headers on before the engine even went in the car.