78 mustang

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like you have come a VERY long way on this project!
Fun to see some corners really looking fresh and new.

I canned the accessory fender gas tank too, lol ~10 gal don't go far but hey I'm on an island so no interstate travel to worry about.
Looks like new Speedway upper A arms. Nice!
Did ya get Stumpy's sub frame connectors on it yet?
Tell us about that torque box. Its factory for T tops right? Looks like new.
My new rotors and calipers rusted so quick I want you to paint yours.

Good job on the pictures, thank you for posting them, Keep it up.

this had been an ongoing 9 year project. my aim right now is to have it running by spring.
Glad your here now, and spring is coming right up.

Everybody loves a 78.....Pictures no matter what condition
Hey! Jenny's back!
Right on PotomusPete
Every time I see your name now I think~~Jenny Jenny who can I turn too? 867-5309~~

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Is it a King Cobra? Nice car!
78kingcobra.jpg

the torque is i believe for the T-top.I didnt put stumpies sub frame connectors,but i did weld in sq tubing into the body and frame.to give it support so it doesnt flex where it is a T-top.ill try to find some pics of that. Can someone here tell me how to adjust the clutch cable.i have Haynes that i have been using,but it doesnt have much info,if any about the 5 liter.Where is the adjustment.it looked in good shape.so its never been off the car.Also if someone could post a pick of where it conects to the release lever assy.that would be great.The car is Cobra two.thanks

Last edited:
There is an adjusting nut on the cable housing at a sleeve on the firewall. As far as the lever, there is a ball end on the cable that fits into a slot in the lever. The cable housing should also have an adjustment nut on that end and it should slip through a hole in the bell housing.

Here is the firewall adjustment as taken from a thread here on Stangnet.

00 Clutch Cable Adjuster Tube.jpg

Here is a pic of a bell housing I snatched from eBay showing the hole in the bell housing that I'm referring to.

Screenshot_20210207-071024__01.jpg

Now if you're talking about the pedal, there is a stud on the top end of the pedal that the eyelet of the cable fits onto and held by a cotter pin. You can see that area in this pic:

Mustang-II-Clutch-Power-Brake-pedal-assembly.jpg

Hope this helps! :)

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
ok.thank you how much play should there be in the clutch pedal,half way to the floor for it to Engauge? The car was originally black.i figured the clutch cable was something like that,its good to have that confirmed. The car was all apart when i bought it,so trying to figure out what goes where.can some one post a pic that has the same car as me of the bracket for the power steering pump.That old rusty bracket is what someone put on the car.ill post a pic of what i think it should be.i have like for different types .this is the only one that seems to fit.And could someone tell me which one of these is the right fan blade.Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20210207_134935.jpg
    20210207_134935.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210124_173151.jpg
    20210124_173151.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20171020_153910.jpg
    20171020_153910.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 55
Going from memory on the power steering pump bracket since I got rid of mine, but it's not what you have there. It's a stamped steel bracket. I think @2Blue2 can probably help you out better with a pic. The stock fan is the one with rivets. My suggestion would be to replace it with something newer. I've had one of those decide to let a fan blade go and it come through my hood while driving years ago. So not only did I have to replace the fan I also had to replace my hood. I can only imagine what would happen if someone were unlucky enough to be in it's unobstructed line of fire.....

Now, the clutch adjustment..... The way I've done it is get it as close as I think it should be, test drive, adjust, test drive, adjust until I feel it's about right for me. I'm not sure there's a specific write up for it anywhere. :shrug:

Now, the clutch adjustment..... The way I've done it is get it as close as I think it should be, test drive, adjust, test drive, adjust until I feel it's about right for me. I'm not sure there's a specific write up for it anywhere. :shrug:
He is completely right: adjust it until you like it. Because of the cable you can not do it wrong, as long the clutch disengage completely.
On 1gen Mustangs it is stated that the the play should be 15% of the complete travel. But the have the mechanical linkage and also a different type of clutch. I know some cars with membrane clutches which have no play to get a good feel. In my 66 coupe I have the trowout bearing touching the clutch, because if not the bearing is squealing when the car is hot. And if there is enough play that it is not touching and squealing when hot, the feel is not right for me...

Going from memory on the power steering pump bracket since I got rid of mine, but it's not what you have there. It's a stamped steel bracket. I think @2Blue2 can probably help you out better with a pic. The stock fan is the one with rivets. My suggestion would be to replace it with something newer. I've had one of those decide to let a fan blade go and it come through my hood while driving years ago. So not only did I have to replace the fan I also had to replace my hood. I can only imagine what would happen if someone were unlucky enough to be in it's unobstructed line of fire.....

'78 has a different pump than the '75-77 V8 cars.

My car is a 78, I just say it's a 77 because I like the earlier Cobra stripes better than the billboard stripes and, for those in the know, know that 78s had billboard stripes and not what I have. :) And I've had a couple other cars in the past and remember a large stamped steel bracket, larger than the smaller bracket he has attached. But I haven't had a power steering bracket for my car since probably the late 90s, so I'm going from almost 30 year old memory. Googling for a pic of power steering brackets give me this that I think is what I had.

1612799470855.png

My car is a 78, I just say it's a 77 because I like the earlier Cobra stripes better than the billboard stripes and, for those in the know, know that 78s had billboard stripes and not what I have. :) And I've had a couple other cars in the past and remember a large stamped steel bracket, larger than the smaller bracket he has attached. But I haven't had a power steering bracket for my car since probably the late 90s, so I'm going from almost 30 year old memory. Googling for a pic of power steering brackets give me this that I think is what I had.

1612799470855.png
That looks like what I took off my '75.

Between concussions, sleep deprivation, and booze, who knows if I'm remembering anything correctly anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
thats good to know about the rivets on the fan blade letting go. i wonder if i can even buy a new one.ill check it out.i have the big outer bracket in that pic.it does bolt up to motor but iam missing the small bracket that bolts to the pump then to that plate.is there a part number stamped on it.so if i cant find one might be able to get one on e bay.

At the end of my first reply you should see some text at the bottom beneath a line separating it from what I've typed as a response. It's called a sig, or signature, line. There are links to a few different threads, I believe you can see either of my cars in the corresponding links. :)

I'm not sure if there's a pic of my engine bay, but I'd be surprised if there's not. All I have running as an accessory is the alternator, and that has since been upgraded to a 3G alternator.

thats good to know about the rivets on the fan blade letting go. i wonder if i can even buy a new one.ill check it out.i have the big outer bracket in that pic.it does bolt up to motor but iam missing the small bracket that bolts to the pump then to that plate.is there a part number stamped on it.so if i cant find one might be able to get one on e bay.
Look at post #683 of @2Blue2 thread. He's got pictures and may have the part numbers.

Reactions: 1 users