79 Carb To Efi?

Burningrubber94

Oct 1, 2016
Hello I need help on deciding if I should get this 79 foxbody. It's a 79 coupe with a 90s front clip and interior conversion. The guy that has it, had a 302 carburated and 5 speed t5 in it but pulled motor and tranny to put in his truck. My buddy has a whole 94 gt car that he will sell me and basically I want to put the motor in it that is efi but not sure what all I will need to convert over to the 79.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet brother.

I'm going to move your thread to the '79-'95 general talk subforum. There are lots of guys there that'll help you out.

Personally? Unless you have some sentimental attachment to it I'd pass.
You have an inferior model car that has had all of its signatures exterior and interior parts removed, all of its antiquated running gear and suspension left, and an efi swap that will begin at level zero.
Just for giggles let's tally up some ball park prices
Running 5.0 engine 400.00
Transmission 300.00-450.00
Clutch/ flywheel 200.00
Ecu and harness 250.00
Efi tank with fuel pump 150.00
Headers/ exhaust 350.00

I'm already around 1850 and we haven't gotten to miscellaneous items like sensors, fasteners, motor mounts, fuel lines, rear end, it keeps growing...

Reactions: 2 users
You'll need everything from the 94.

Useful needed items

94 k member
....full brake system
....rear end
....wiring harness
....computer
....fuel tank
....a lot of stuff ...

The swap wouldn't be the easiest because of the airbag system on the 94 and the fact that the dash wiring is completely different. People have swapped 94 dashes in fox bodies before but it takes a lot of work.

Is the 94 5speed or automatic ?

If it were me I'd swap all the brake and suspension stuff along with the drive train. Then I'd slap an intake and carb on it and let it eat.

Swapping rear and front control arms changes the offset of the wheels....you'd have to run higher offset...around 40mm. You'd also have to use camber bolts and caster camber plates up front.

Hello I need help on deciding if I should get this 79 foxbody. It's a 79 coupe with a 90s front clip and interior conversion. The guy that has it, had a 302 carburated and 5 speed t5 in it but pulled motor and tranny to put in his truck. My buddy has a whole 94 gt car that he will sell me and basically I want to put the motor in it that is efi but not sure what all I will need to convert over to the 79.
This is a rotisserie car...
You strip everything off of it... It is like cleaning the chicken you just cut the head off of. Once all the old stuff is laying on your garage floor, you bolt the body to the rotisserie. Then proceed to rebuild it with the good parts you stripped off of the other car. One car in the rotisserie to be worked on, the other car up on jackstands while you rob it for parts.
This a 16-22 month project IF you have tools, mechanical skills, money, time and a suitable two car place to work on both of the cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A '79 with a '94 drivetrain would be a pretty cool car. But, if you want an aero nose with a '90s interior, buy a '90s car done. Is there something else about the '79 that makes it desirable to you?

This sounds like a nightmare. The 79 has already been hacked up halfway and then had the motor pulled.

The 94 has tons of great fox parts, seats, 5 lug, brakes.

But I'd start with a non hacked up fox, unless it was completely converted and done properly, and CHEAP!

Reactions: 1 users
Not to mention all the above, how you gonna smog it? Unless you like a challenge, and have a personal attachment to this car, I'd pass. If you really like the 79, Get a 79-80 5.0 engine/ trans. I had a 82 5.0 with a 4 speed overdrive manual that was a great car. Keep in mind I've owned a 85, 86 gt. They were faster but 82 my fave. Looked good, very few problems, I didn't dog it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Im just wanting to make it a daily driver and I can't find anymore fox coupes around my area in as good as shape for the price. I'll probably just stick with a carburated motor in it and its a 5 speed