8 inch traction lock rear

• Sponsors (?)

You should be able to look around locally and find something, I would think. If you like doing some things yourself you could buy a used chunk for cheap from a junkyard and a rebuild kit and set it up yourself. There are a few specialty tools, but rebuilding a center section and Trac-loc is something most people can handle, IMO. I bought a CD from Bad Shoe Productions, bought the tools I needed and then found a used chunk locally for $100. Currie is a great source for parts and they are CHEAP. I should say good value. :) I think I have less than $300 total in mine including tools and parts. Plus it was fun to do. Probably took me 8-10 hours being excessively careful and taking it apart and putting back together a couple times trying to minimize runout, etc. I would do it again.

If you look around of ebay, you can find some people that rebuild diff's. I bought a complete 3rd member, with quality parts, 3.80 trac loc gears, warranty, for about $850.00. It's been a little while, and he isn't doing it anymore, but there are some others.

fwiw .... I'm running a Detroit True-Trac and a 3.55 R&P set in the 8" .... just love this setup with a T5 .... the True-Trac works well for modest to robust engines .... and there is no "clunking" during turns .....

tj is da man,
There are a bunch of guys doing 8 inch rears for a few bucks less, but using cheap parts, tj (linked above) is an old guy who's been doing it all his life and does superb work and excellent warranty/customer service. His price foe an 8" just went up from $800, recently, and he used to pay shipping and $65-$75 for your old chunk in his crate, maybe he still does.
Gene

I just got a 3.40 trac -loc from TJ on ebay also. SUPER fast shipping and very easy to deal with. He shippd mine the same day! He's selling the extra strong 4 spider versions too. I was very pleased.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a 3.40 trac -loc from TJ on ebay also. SUPER fast shipping and very easy to deal with. He shippd mine the same day! He's selling the extra strong 4 spider versions too. I was very pleased.
Yep. Great vendor. My buddy and I both bought a center section from TJ. Period correct case for my restoration and detailed well. Glad you found him.