85 5.0 engine wont stop cranking when I went to start this morning

85cleangtvert

May 19, 2005
i have a 85 5.0 . It has been sitting for a couple years but I just started messing with it again. I have had it drivable for a couple days now. When I went to start it this morning It was just cranking. When I stopped cranking to give it some gas the engine would not stop cranking. I turned the key in the off position and it was still going. I tried turning the key while it was cranking but it just kept going like double... Finally I popped the hood and disconnected the battery. When I put the battery back on it started cranking again... right now the car is in my back yard with the battery disconnected. what do you guys think it is? The starter is used from a 91 5.0 I parted out. It seems fine, I dont think that is the problem. The solenoid is from another 85 I had. I switched them because I was trying to diagnose a problem on the other car. This solenoid seems to be ok... what do you guys think? ignition? any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

i just disconnected the S terminal on the solenoid and connected the battery and it still was cranking on its own. does this mean that the solenoid is latched, and is my problem? new solenoid?

Mine did the same thing this weekend.....but it was the starter that locked up causing the solenoid to go bad. Try replacing the solenoid 1st. Hope you don't need to change out the starter.....it's a pain in the azz.

Good luck:nice: