Progress Thread 87-89 steering wheel on a 91 FOX???

monte87

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2001
new york
Greetings guys-

I wanted to know, if anyone out there is running a 87-89 steering wheel on a 90-93 Fox without any issues? Will the steering wheel minus the airbag, cruise control etc simply bolt up? I don't want to swap steering columns... Because i'm ripping my Grant steering wheel off my 91, and have free access to an 89 steering wheel. I want to slap it on, bolt it up and call it a day.

Thanks Anthony

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

no you cannot as the clockspring, horn wiring,, are different

swapping columns all you need to do is re use your existing multi function switch and remove the airbag light and module behind the dash
other than that it is bolt in swap

no you cannot as the clockspring, horn wiring,, are different

swapping columns all you need to do is re use your existing multi function switch and remove the airbag light and module behind the dash
other than that it is bolt in swap

When I removed old stocker steering wheel, clockspring and airbag to install the grant wheel I removed all that as I didn't need it. I had to wire a new horn button because the grant wheel horn sucked. So I'm not worried about a horn, I deleted the cruise control, air bag module and light. Do I need my old clockspring for an 1989 wheel? 89s didn't have airbags...
Once I removed the old clockspring, I didn't have to use it w the grant wheel. I'm looking to junk the grant wheel and slap an 1989 wheel as they were simple. My question is, if I dont have to worry about a clockspring, would the 89 bolt up?

My current set up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180530-213642_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180530-213642_Gallery.jpg
    864 KB · Views: 3,040
The pre-airbag cars don't use clocksprings. They have three fingers that are electrical contacts that ride on a horn ring. Completely different.

Here are the fingers
66256DEC-C0FE-4EEA-B99C-D4D24AD727E8.jpg

And on the backside of the steering wheel mounts the contact ring. 3 rings does horn and cruise control.

https://www.foxresto.com/1985-89-Mustang-Horn-Cruise-Contact-Plate-p/31185001.htm

Plus, distance to driver is different from airbag to non-airbag colume. The airbag column is shorter due to the bigger wheel. Correct way to do this swap would be to swap in an 87-89 column. At least you'd get tilt as well

The pre-airbag cars don't use clocksprings. They have three fingers that are electrical contacts that ride on a horn ring. Completely different.

Here are the fingers

And on the backside of the steering wheel mounts the contact ring. 3 rings does horn and cruise control.

https://www.foxresto.com/1985-89-Mustang-Horn-Cruise-Contact-Plate-p/31185001.htm

Plus, distance to driver is different from airbag to non-airbag colume. The airbag column is shorter due to the bigger wheel. Correct way to do this swap would be to swap in an 87-89 column. At least you'd get tilt as well

Hey, thanks for the pic and reply. It's been so long since I had steering wheel apart. I remember eliminating them 3 fingers when I put Grant on. From that pic, it will bolt up. I may just have to buy the 87-89 column cover.. or may be able to use mine i jerri-rigged to work w the grant. Anyhow, thanks again!!!!!
ANTHONY

Last edited:

Here are the fingers

THIS PIC OF YOUR COLUNM IS FROM AN 87-89?? RIGHT...
THANKS ANTHONY