'87 Coupe Going Under The Knife... Looking For A Good Forum

NickPohlAandP

I'm motor boating a tranny
Sep 5, 2017
Lake Charles, LA
Hello all. First post here, just trying to feel out the forum to see how lively it is. I'm a long time member of another mustang forum but it's heartbeat has more or less flatlined, and I think the Fox section died years ago. I was asking around on FB for a good forum to go and meet people, ask questions, etc., etc. A few people recommended Stangnet so here I am. Here goes nothing.

So I've always loved the Fox coupes, they're just cool. I got my shop built at my house about a year ago and like any motorhead, I started collecting parts. I came across a smokin deal on a 454, then a TH400 with a J&W bell, so those were picked up and pushed in a corner. In the mean time I've done a complete rebuild on a '65 390 and converted it to fuel injection, woke up a '70 Torino 429 with a set of SCJ aluminum heads, cam, intake, carb, and headers, and saved a '68 ProStreet Camaro from certain death by electrical fire. All the while I was keeping my eye out for something to build. Well... an '87 4cyl coupe was presented to me with no rust, clean title, straight body, and only one problem... it had been about 6' underwater in a flood in TX. It was fresh water, hence the no rust, but it would be one hell of a project to turn back into a full interior car. That works fine for me though, because all I want is two seats, a roll cage, and a steering wheel.

I started deconstruction this past weekend and so far so good. No surprises. I'm going to be mini tubbing the car, full length, through floor SFC's, then I'll start work on the cage. I know the powerplant isn't something that die hard Ford guys will like, but I'm hoping they can get over it, I had that stuff before I had the car and at this point it wouldn't make sense (or logical investment) for me to get an engine with the distributor on the proper end of the motor. I'm here as a motorhead who loves the Fox as a drag race platform and I'm hoping this is a good, active forum.

That's probably more than enough for my first post. I guess now I'll wait and see what kind of replies I get. Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

Hello all. First post here, just trying to feel out the forum to see how lively it is. I'm a long time member of another mustang forum but it's heartbeat has more or less flatlined, and I think the Fox section died years ago. I was asking around on FB for a good forum to go and meet people, ask questions, etc., etc. A few people recommended Stangnet so here I am. Here goes nothing.

You should run not walk, to the nearest exit and never return. This is the home of never-ending Mustang projects. Nobody here is ever "finished". Just as soon as something is completed they find some other reason to turn wrenches. It's a sickness, it WILL have you, and your only option is to return to bookface, get crappy advice, get sick of the project, and sell it for half what you have in parts.

The alternative of course, is to stay here and be doomed. :shrug:

You've been warned :O_o:

Reactions: 1 users
You should run not walk, to the nearest exit and never return. This is the home of never-ending Mustang projects. Nobody here is ever "finished". Just as soon as something is completed they find some other reason to turn wrenches. It's a sickness, it WILL have you, and your only option is to return to bookface, get crappy advice, get sick of the project, and sell it for half what you have in parts.

The alternative of course, is to stay here and be doomed. :shrug:

You've been warned :O_o:

Don't threaten me with a good time. This isn't my first rodeo. This is coming from a guy who blew up his 2000 4.6 and said "honey, it'll just be a simple engine swap". $10k later I had a Trick Flow headed badass, tubular K, full suspension, etc. I know the disease, I embrace the disease. My wife has learned to live with it. The ONLY rule she laid down is that I can't touch our daily drivers (otherwise I'd have a turbocharged Silverado)

Reactions: 1 user
Don't threaten me with a good time. This isn't my first rodeo. This is coming from a guy who blew up his 2000 4.6 and said "honey, it'll just be a simple engine swap". $10k later I had a Trick Flow headed badass, tubular K, full suspension, etc. I know the disease, I embrace the disease. My wife has learned to live with it. The ONLY rule she laid down is that I can't touch our daily drivers (otherwise I'd have a turbocharged Silverado)

Why that two timing.... :fuss:

This is a pretty good place to get people to comment, offer advice, spend your money for you, etc......

We have one other unfortunate soul at the moment putting a Chevy engine inside a perfectly good fox body. He doesn't get too much trash.

Post some pictures of your mustang, let's see what you're up to.

IMG_6611.JPG
IMG_6612.JPG
IMG_6613.JPG
IMG_6614.JPG
IMG_6616.JPG
IMG_6617.JPG
Didn't realize I could post pics already. Most forums make you wait til you have 50 posts or some crap like that.

But you have been warned!
You do have a good attitude so far,
BTW that thing looks pretty straight, why not sell that gm junk and go for a big inch ford?

First let me say this... I am non biased to GM, Ford, or Mopar. I consider myself a fanatic of the internal combustion engine. I happen to have a 454 and a forged crank to turn it into a 496, along with the correct trans to back it up. The chassis fab process is not going to happen overnight. If I were to happen across a 385 series BBF with a C6 I might consider changing directions. Right now I'm working with what I have

First let me say this... I am non biased to GM, Ford, or Mopar. I consider myself a fanatic of the internal combustion engine. I happen to have a 454 and a forged crank to turn it into a 496, along with the correct trans to back it up. The chassis fab process is not going to happen overnight. If I were to happen across a 385 series BBF with a C6 I might consider changing directions. Right now I'm working with what I have

You're going to need these:
upload_2017-9-5_18-49-45.png

Two of the big ones. :cool:

Then we'll be able to show him the err of his ways. :D

You're going to need these:
upload_2017-9-5_18-49-45.png

Two of the big ones. :cool:

Then we'll be able to show him the err of his ways. :D

Also, I'm fairly sure that 4 bolt mains or not, a production block wouldn't be too happy with what those huffers would do to it. Ya ever see some girl in a dirty movie get one shoved down her throat and the tears come to her eyes? That'd be the block... only in those movies the girls don't explode when that's happening.

Welcome, when you are ready to give in to the sickness let me know I'll get you setup with a proper efi standalone system capable of running the space shuttle for close to pennies. Oh and we have a full digital tuning help section here.

Annnndddd it will need a turbo. Just sayin

This statement alone, tells me to take any tune he gives and dial it down 20%. :shrug: I also draw the line at injecting liquid O2.
Lol capable and "I'll blow your :poo: up" are 2 different things. I build conservative tunes and haven't lost a single motor as of today. I even setup trim tables and failsafe measures for sensor failure/high intake temps/overboost/and detonation where the hardware is available.....

Just ask foxmustanglvr my failsafe tables saved his motor from a tuner hell bent on jacking up the timing.

You had me at distributor on the " proper " end of the motor. Not biased ??? Seems like it to me buddy :O_o:.... Its OK....we don't mind people building junk here...as long as you put it in a fine ford product. If its cool we'll keep you around. If it isn't cool...at least make it interesting and we like pics...and videos....and drink occasionally.

Just remember there is a guy here that'll drag you through the coals for calling an engine a " motor " :nono:

We don't say " tranny " or " dizzy " either....unless you can use all three in a sentence.

Welcome to Stangnet !!!

Reactions: 4 users