Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

Not much to show for today's work since all I did was finish cleaning the timing cover. I did smooth out a few of the casting slag and casting lines in the timing cover, so that when I paint it it comes out cleaner. I also cleaned up the timing pointer and the balancer as well. Due to all the rain the painting is on halt.

Next step is to work on the lower intake porting/gasket matching. I can then run the ball honer that I got down the ports to smooth them out as much as possible. I can then get it painted, install the heater tubes, and the new 60lb injectors.

Slowly get everything ready to go for this weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

I got some more parts cleaned up and painted. I have the timing cover and the balancer half finished with one side painted. I finished the A/C bracket and the crank pulley. The IAC valve has one coat of paint on it, so I will be hanging it back up tomorrow to finish it up as well.

IMG_20200625_145419167~2.jpg
IMG_20200625_202858334~2.jpg
IMG_20200625_145410559~2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Wait.....you’re actually painting the stuff you’re posting pics of,...and taping it up, and......painting the back side? :eek:

This goes against the grain of all things normal....

Post pictures of dirty, greasy, rusty sht if you want to be normal around here.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Wait.....you’re actually painting the stuff you’re posting pics of,...and taping it up, and......painting the back side? :eek:

This goes against the grain of all things normal....

Post pictures of dirty, greasy, rusty sht if you want to be normal around here.

Come on now Mike. The one that doesn't post up pictures unless it meets his standards. I was just trying to work up toward your standards, but its a long windy and unpaved road for sure.

:thinking:

Come on now Mike. The one that doesn't post up pictures unless it meets his standards. I was just trying to work up toward your standards, but its a long windy and unpaved road for sure.

:thinking:
The fact that you’re painting stuff on the backside goes above and beyond even my standard...( which has always been “ 80% of what you can see,...and if you can’t see it...who gives a fck.?)

The fact that you’re painting stuff on the backside goes above and beyond even my standard...( which has always been “ 80% of what you can see,...and if you can’t see it...who gives a fck.?)

Point taken... cataloged... an agreed with

The back of the part in context is the back of the balancer that had all the paint lost from multiple years of carb cleaner, so it was rusting and need to be "sealed" back up AKA painted front and BACK :) The back of the timing cover was just the back sides that I couldnt get to and was easier to paint one side and then flip it over. Most of it is taped over since I dont want painted parts inside the engine.

Reactions: 1 users
So progress is still getting made. Got busy this week for updates, but was able to work on the engine as planned last Saturday. Got it all torn down to the block and cleaned up from the past 15 years I have driven it. After all torn down the bearings were pretty worn on the Mains, and only a handful on the rods. The crank was super smooth, but the pistons were a mess as it seems I had at least 2 valve seals that were leaking oil. It took a while to clean the tops and the ring lands cleaned up. After getting all cleaned back up we reassembled the shortblock again with new bearings and moly piston rings.

Before:

IMG_20200627_112654328.jpg
IMG_20200627_133305853.jpg

After:

IMG_20200627_162334820.jpg
IMG_20200627_180313640.jpg
IMG_20200627_181418064.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I also got this AWESOME Tubular GT-40 Intake. I have always wanted one of these on my car as I believe they are the best looking intakes. I am super super happy and thank you to the no-named seller.

IMG_20200702_100527595.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
So got a small update as I hit a small road block...

Yesterday was rebuild the heads day until I ran it an issue with removing the intake valve springs. The exhaust springs came out with no problem at all, but the intake valves didnt want to compress. I thought maybe the keeps were stuck, so a light tap with a rubber mallet, and tried to compress it again with no luck. I stepped up the compress to the next notch to see if it helped and it didnt. All it did was bend the compressor, which surprised me that it was able to do so being mounted to a 1/2" thick piece of steel.

So short answer, I didnt get anywhere with the heads other than wrapping them back up in bags. I will then take them to a machine shop to disassemble, hot tank, 3-angle valve job, and reassemble checking the spring seat pressure as well. One of the exhaust valves had (2) shims under it and the rest didnt, so now its got me wondering if they were right or not.

I also saw this as well:

IMG_20200711_125431263.jpg

Thoughts????

I'm thinking of just replacing the one valve, which is another reason for the 3-angle valve job. These are not any special heads as they are just hogged out E7's, so are just wanting to run them until I can build its next engine.

Nobody has asked you this, and it appears that you haven’t said whether you did, or didn’t.

Did you hone those cylinders before just throwing new rings on the pistons, and putting the pistons back in?
Did you have your crank mic’d, or check your bearing clearances or just order new standard bearings when you put this all back together?
Did you run a brush through the lifter galleys to get the old oil sludge out of there before reassembly?
Are you putting a new oil pump in this engine?

Nobody has asked you this, and it appears that you haven’t said whether you did, or didn’t.

Did you hone those cylinders before just throwing new rings on the pistons, and putting the pistons back in?
Did you have your crank mic’d, or check your bearing clearances or just order new standard bearings when you put this all back together?
Did you run a brush through the lifter galleys to get the old oil sludge out of there before reassembly?
Are you putting a new oil pump in this engine?

Yes, I cleaned and honed the cylinders with a ball honer
No, the crank was not mic'd, but did check the clearance and have between .002 to .0025 on both the mains and rod bearings
Piston ring gaps were checked at .021 1st ring and .025 2nd ring
Yes, the lifter bores were cleaned and assemble lubed before re-installation of the lifters
Yes, a new oil pump and ARP driveshaft was installed along with cleaning the oil pick-up as well

Reactions: 2 users