88 LX startup and refresh

Rivered88LX

Apr 4, 2018
NJ
Hello all! After lurking for some time I'm in a position to contribute. Unfortunately, this is also driven by my need for help.

Background:

This is my brother's car. He bought it in 2007. This is his third foxbody that I remember. He was very knowledgeable on what to do and not to do. Ultimately, he wanted a nice cruiser with decent power and manners. Unfortunately, he passed away unexpectedly before Christmas. No wife, no kids, just loose ends. After everything was said and done, i felt that the mustang should not be liquidated. I know she meant a lot to him. I would like to finish this project, it would mean a lot to the family.

Current situation:

The car has sat for at least 3 years. I have a pile of parts that he was getting together (more on that later). I was told that there was an issue with the starter, but she just turned over. I've changed out the battery and connections, only. I will be changing the fluids tomorrow and giving it a once over. I do know that he swapped to maf and 3g alternator.

I'm hoping that you guys can take a look at the pictures and let me know if anything looks "off". Do you see any swaps that I may be overlooking? Also, anything I'm forgetting before the startup?

0406181620a.jpg
0406181622a.jpg
0407181653.jpg
0407181653a.jpg
0407181653b.jpg

If I can provide any other pics or info to help the discussion, please let me know. Thanks in advance, I suspect I won't be able to pull this off without you.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I know, the car was running well with the current setup. Hopefully someone can confirm if this one works.

With that said, I mentioned a pile of parts earlier. This is in the pile...
0407182111.jpg

Thoughts?

if it sat for 3yrs , i would just do a basic tune up, plugs,wires,cap,rotor,oil change, and possibly drain the fuel and replace? maybe run the fuel system to get fresh fuel in there? check for spark which is easy enough, if you're getting spark but its not turning over could be the fuel filter if you dont hear the pump prime could be that too, i would follow that checklist and go from there, good luck man and sorry for you're loss bro.

As I look through all the threads, I'm noticing that everyone runs the fused lead to the alternator from the starter solenoid. Is there an advantage/ disadvantage to running it off the battery like he did?

Sidenote: after reading this thread I realize I need to apologize. I really need to ask my brother just 9 or 10 more questions (regarding the car) to get this whole thing sorted out, but I can't. Unfortunately, I think that means I'll be asking you guys 1000 questions, just to look like a total newb. I don't intend to turn this into my therapy couch by any means, but please understand that it means a lot to me to get this car going. Besides the pictures, the trinkets, and the memories, this LX is the last word. Again, thanks for bearing with me...

First thing we only allow 999 questions here, if you need to ask more than that you have to buy a permit, I take ITunes gift cards. :jester:
We will be right here to help you along. :nice:
keep this project in one thread so the members know what has been done and it will also document this tribute to your brother.
Oh, and don't forget the pics of the progress.

Reactions: 1 user
Either MAF should work. Slight revision in 91 but it's compatible.

Nothing looks off. I'd change some fluids, sipphon out gas, pull the plugs and check them and every other basic tune up thing you can do.

It it turns over, I bet it will fire

Sorry for the delay, life seems to get in the way. My hat is off to you guys who post regular progress pics!
I'm proud to report that she runs. There wasn't enough gas to siphon off, so I added some fresh. Just an oil change and coolant change later. While trying to get her up to temperature, i noticed that i dont have a reading at the water temp gauge. Also, it looks like there's a leak in the head gasket. Some pretty nasty foam...
0411181417a.jpg

Oil pressure seems to be dropping off as she comes up to temp. I'll swap out the thermostat and get a mechanical reading to see what's really going on.

If it is the head gaskets though, we may need to dig into that pile of parts sooner than later...

0407182114.jpg

Im not sure Oil pressure has anything to do with the thermostat, although the foaming coolant could be a sign of a bad waterpump? Maybe someone who knows more could chime in but I think the oil pressure drop could be the pump? What condition was the oil in when you changed it.

I'm thinking it has more to do with operating temps. I couldn't tell if it was overheating, but pressure was down as temps rose. Oil was ok, no solids, no water when changed. I'll test again with mechanical guage and thermostat change

That coolant doesnt look good at all. You need to flush the cooling system.

To do that the best way is to gut a thermostat. Take the center out leaving the ring and reinstall it.
Loop the heater core hoses together ( you dont want all that crud going in there. Take the upper radiator hose loose. Start the engine and run a hose in the radiator. A lot of crud will come out the upper radiator hose. Just keep water flowing into the radiator and keep an eye on temps. The heater core can be reverse flushed by sticking a hose in the smaller hose and letting it flow out the bigger one. I think they are 3/4 for one and 5/8 for the other. Be careful with the garden hose because it could create too much pressure and damage the heater core.

Put the hose back on and idle the car with a chemical flush additive ( per directions on product ). Radiators are hard to clean out. The water will always take the path of least resistance.

I've seen really rusty dirtyy engines do that. Usually with a head gasket issue the foam and coolant would be a light chocolate milk color.

Reactions: 1 users
i would replace the radiator, they are pretty cheap for a 3core radiator its like 130bux, worth the investment, i got one waiting to go on when i can get electric fans and shroud

For the moment, I'm delaying the radiator problem. I'm going to hunt down a contour fan and order a new radiator. Daycare really throws off the new parts budget, so this dream is deferred momentarily.

All hope is not lost though. My brother had sourced 3/4 of a grey interior, and i was able to source the rest. (Dash and quarter panels) i have everything pulled out except for the dash. Low and behold, the rust is in the mix.
0505181410a.jpg
0505181344.jpg
0505181410.jpg
0421181641.jpg

So I have a new rug on order, and then I can put her back together. There's more rust than what i could address, but it goes back to that budget thing...

Tomorrow I'll pull the dash, treat the metal, and check the heater core.

Reactions: 1 user