88 Mustang Steering Wheel Play

Foxybody95

Sep 14, 2015
Hey guys Chris again,
My fox has terrible play in the steering wheel so much so its becoming dangerous. Now I know its not the rag joint or the steering rack because I converted my car to a manual rack and I have a new steering shaft as well so it seems to be in the steering column itself. I've been looking everywhere and It seems no one sells aftermarket steering columns for these cars. Any one know how I can fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

If its a tilt steering column they have pins in the pivot point that can be tightened up. Used to do them all the time in the 90s. There used to be a kit for it. Not sure how hard to find now.

What year is the car. Tilt wheel. Lowered. Is the whole column moving. There is a 'sector' shaft that slides inside another shaft that makes up the steering system. Do you hear a clicking sound when you move the wheel back and forth. Is the rag joint tight on the rack, the rag joint has a metal bracket that sandwiches the 'rag' part to the piece that is bolted to the shaft coming out of the rack. Make sure all of these pieces are tight. It my sound dumb, make sure steering wheel is tight on the shaft. I think the tilt wheels have a knuckle of some kind at the top, had my 89 gt apart but can't remember what it looks like.
Curious, why no power steering?

What year is the car. Tilt wheel. Lowered. Is the whole column moving. There is a 'sector' shaft that slides inside another shaft that makes up the steering system. Do you hear a clicking sound when you move the wheel back and forth. Is the rag joint tight on the rack, the rag joint has a metal bracket that sandwiches the 'rag' part to the piece that is bolted to the shaft coming out of the rack. Make sure all of these pieces are tight. It my sound dumb, make sure steering wheel is tight on the shaft. I think the tilt wheels have a knuckle of some kind at the top, had my 89 gt apart but can't remember what it looks like.
Curious, why no power steering?
Its a 88 GT and yes the steering wheel has a tilt I went with a manual rack just because I was sick of dealing with whiney power steering pumps its not the shaft or a rack because its all been replaced the car no longer has a rag joint because of the aftermarket steerinf shaft, i can reach under the dash grab the steering column and move the wheel over 2 inches and it doesnt move the shaft under the dash at all.

So if it is an aftermarket shaft few things

1: If it is anything like MM or Flaming River shafts, the orientation of the bolt that goes at the base where the rack and shaft connects. Has to be installed through the unthreaded hole to the threaded hole. Re-verify this and ensure it is torqued correctly (sometimes you can get false torque readings)

2. The pinch bolt at the fire wall where the aftermarket shaft and steering wheel shaft comes through from inside the car is a self locking nut and will/can be "tight" but not enough that you don't get play. Like if you are sitting in the car and can move the steering wheel from like 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock with play.....retighten that bolt!

3. There's two 13mm bolts on the steering wheel, under the cover is visible while the other is the turn signal assembly. These can loosen over time and cause play.

4. The easy way to see if there is slippage is take (white out pen/brush) and paint a line at the two connection (shaft/shaft and shaft/rack) and you'll see if one moves and the other doesn't.
It helps if someone can turn the wheel for you while you watch for movement.

Reactions: 1 user