9 inch rear housing

candphall

Jun 8, 2009
Orlando Florida
This is an original factory Ford 9 inch rear end housing. It is just a bare housing as seen in the pic, but it is an original Ford Mustang rear as you can tell from the tapered axle tubes. This is very important if you are restoring a Mustang for concours judging. It was removed from a '71 Mustang, so it would be a perfect fit for any 1971-'73 Mustang or Cougar. It will also bolt right in to any 1965-70 Mustang as long as you use rims with the correct backspacing. Moving and need to clean out the garage!

I also have a complete 8 inch rear from the same model of car. I don't know anything about the condition of the 8 inch since I've never had it apart, but you can use the axles and brake parts from it on the 9 inch so you'd have that much less to buy to put a complete 9 inch rear together. If you want it you can have it!

This stuff has to go, make me an offer!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I was thinking of this for my 69. Any thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

It will be 2" longer than your '69 axle, if your tires fit now they will stick out an inch further:
http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html
It's also the top FAQ on this forum page - Rearend Swap info - FAQ
I suppose you could have it cut down and welded but make sure someone competent does it or you'll eat bearings if it's not level. You would then use your 8" shafts and you'll still need a 9" 3rd member.
Jon