Interior and Upholstery '90 LX hatchback climate control trim/bezel issue

I have a 1990 LX hatchback and my climate control trim ring/bezel opening extends past the right side of the control panel, about half an inch. I can see the edge of the panel and almost the screws holding the panel. I can't see that there's more than one bezel available for these cars, so I don't know why it wouldn't fit.
Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• climate control bezel.jpg
    climate control bezel.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Sponsors (?)

Maybe try and modify the climate control panel mounting holes and slide it over a bit. Use a rat tail file and elongate the holes so you can slide it over and tighten it in a better position.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not really trying to figure out a way to make this work, I'm trying to figure out what the problem is so I can address the problem instead of covering the issue. The climate control panel appears to be the correct panel...but the bezel also looks like the only option for the '90 Mustang. So, I can't figure out what's to blame.

Edit:
Found a better picture from more straight on

Attachments

• climate control bezel straight.jpg
    climate control bezel straight.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
There are two different bezels from 87 to 93. One of them has 3 round holes instead of the oval. Not sure if the control panel changes too or not.

Yeah, I've seen those, but I believe those are for earlier models than the '90. I don't think there are two different climate control panels of bezels for the '90 model. I also believe the '89 and older had the three holes in the bezel, but the panel behind it was different too. The four-eyes had levers instead of knobs, I believe.

'87-'89 panel:
https://www.bonanza.com/items/like/...ate-Control-Panel-AC-Heat-HVAC-E6DH-19C925-AC

'90-'93 panel:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=180633464502

I have a '90-'93 panel, so I should have the correct bezel as well. I just can't figure how the edge of the panel shows, unless I have a wrong part. The holes in the panel line up correctly, so I would think the problem is with the bezel. But, I don't know where either would have come from if either were incorrect.

Last edited:
yeah, could be. I didn't notice anything with the bracket. Though, the center console does seem to be a bit askew. So, maybe my issue is with the numerous console screws that seem to be missing.
TBH, that's probably the issue. I'll dig a bit deeper to verify.
To anyone's knowledge, were there similar, but different bezels used on other models (i.e. Explorer, Taurus, Thunderbird)?

Maybe that bracket is not in the correct position.

That really looks like the issue. I can force the center console to the left enough to almost cover that edge of the panel. It did take quite a bit of force, but that's probably the issue.
It looks like the bracket the panel is attached to is in the correct position, but the front of the center console might just be a little off to the right. Hopefully there's enough slop in all the holes to just loosen the screws and move the console over a bit.

The 90-93 bezel fits kinda loose and sloppy. With it installed I can wiggle i around a bit. There is only one bezel, and the 90-93 climate controls are specific to the mustang too although the knobs are interchangeable with other fords.

The controls bolt to the dash, and the trim bezel clips to the console. If the alignment of the console and dash is off, the bezel doesn't sit correctly.

Here's how mine sits
IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG

Yeah...I figured I had all the correct parts. I think taking some time with the console and grabbing some extra screws for it will straighten up enough for my liking. Anyone know what size screws the console takes? I was thinking of grabbing an interior screw kit from LMR, but I really only need the console and the screws for the panels around the rear windows and the hatch area. Figured I could grab some locally and just get as many as I need instead of having a bunch of extras lying around that I'll lose before I need them.