91-93 front fenders upgrade

I have a 1989 coupe and was wondering whats involved in replacing the fenders to the 91-93 fenders? I was also wondering it will really make much of a difference in tire size etc.? I have 245 45 17 nitto 555z up front and want to go alittle bigger would this make it possible? Any info you can give me would be helpful.

• Sponsors (?)

Also consider the wider of a front tire you put on... the less your turning radius will be considering that Mustangs suck for turning radius to begin with. Not sure how bad it will be but it will be affected.
Kevin

The fenders aren't physically wider, just the opening is. Instead of dropping straight down in the front (79-90) they curve out slightly so as to allow for more tire space. As long as you get the right moldings (GT, LX, Cobra) they'll work fine.

I'm just not sure if it would be worth it how much bigger of a tire can I run? What are some of you guys running on a 91-93 mustang up front? I was also wondering about how does everybody feel about bumpers that dont have the mustang lettering on them? My bumpers aren't the best fit due to the sun, like all foxbodies. I was thinking about getting the bumpers without the "mustang" on them. What do you think I should do?

the room gained from the newer fenders isnt enough to really make a difference. with a stock or typical lowered suspension a 245 is the widest you will want to run on the front of a fox, many people run 17's and 18's on pre-91 cars without problem. 16" ponies will bolt on and there will be no issues. bumper covers without 'mustang' on them are aftermarket and sometimes fitment is an issue but it can be tough finding an original in good condition. sometimes its better though as the used units usually come with header panels and sometimes even all the lights too. swapping header panels is a PITA!

Threadjack,

Are 16" pony wheels a direct bolt-on to a 1988 LX or will I have contact with the fender/fender liners?

Thanks!

your fine

bditty50 said:
I'm just not sure if it would be worth it how much bigger of a tire can I run? What are some of you guys running on a 91-93 mustang up front? I was also wondering about how does everybody feel about bumpers that dont have the mustang lettering on them? My bumpers aren't the best fit due to the sun, like all foxbodies. I was thinking about getting the bumpers without the "mustang" on them. What do you think I should do?

The 91+ are noticeably bigger openings (not visually). I have both on my car, thanks to it being in a fender bender in the early 90's, it has both a pre 91 and a 91+ fender on it. This past summer I had 275's all the way around and i got it to the point where the only place it would rub on big bumps was the stock 1990 fender since it, and the inside wheel well is smaller.

oh..and get the letters...they look better