93 5.0 Fox , Miss Shift , Clutch Wont Engage. Help?

JPANKER

Active User
Apr 27, 2016
ONTARIO CANADA
Hey everyone, I'm new to the Forum and looking for some friendly help.

I Just got my Foxbody last year and has been in storage up until a couple weeks ago i got it on the road.

Today i was driving and miss shifted into first while coming up too fast at a stop sign. (please keep in mind this is my first manual car so try not to be too harsh)...anyways something went bang and and now my clutch pedal feels much softer and the car will not go into gear. its still starts up and sounds good now I know its hard to diagnose anything over the net but any advice/ tips to help me figure this one out? im hoping its just the clutch cable or is that just wishful thinking? Again any words of wisdom here mean a lot this is my first stang and i want to go back to driving it ASAP!!

• Sponsors (?)

Can you move the shifter through the gears with the engine off?

Also for the love of god never ever shift into first while the car is moving.

Before you do all that work tell us if you have a stock set up. If so lift the clutch pedal up until it clicks. The stock unit is plastic and you could have it out of whack.

So I wasnt told exactly all the mods that were done to my Mustang the quadrant looks to be steel so I guess it aftermarket and I'm not sure what the cable is aftermarket or not. I tried pulling up I think I might have felt some sort of click. What does clicking it up do reset it somehow?

If you can, put the car on jack stands or some other form of solid support so you can get under it. Take off the clutch fork cover (one bolt I think) and have someone push in the clutch pedal while you watch the clutch fork to see if it is fully moving. If it's not then we need to figure out why and work from there. Could be the cable, could be the quadrant, could be the trans itself.

Yeah , can still put the car in all the gears but only when it'snot running I replaced the cable and no luck is still the same. Now I'm hoping it's just the clutch/ pilot bearing I just ordered a Ford racing clutch kit. I'm going to drop the transfer and install that next now I guess... is there any easy way to tell if the transmission is damaged while it's still in or when I take it out I really don't wanna spend the money to get it rebuilt.

None of that will have anything to do with your clutch plate. There's a slight chance that you damaged the pressure plate/throw out bearing but I doubt it. Can you pull the inspection plate and shine a light inside the bell housing?

A friend of mine blew up a clutch disc in my 84 I used to have. The car would not go into gear running, but would not running. I'd bet money the bang you heard was the disc exploding.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for now something like that now that I've bought a Ford racing clutch kit, I just assumed clutch after I replaced the clutch cable and the pedal still doesn't have the resistance like it used too. Was the trans mission still OK in your 84 when that happened?