93 5.0 MSPNP2 tuning ?s

Skind

Jun 28, 2018
IN
Hi folks! Been reading for a while on here. Decided to post to see if I could get some help and guidance. Recently bought a 93 hatch 5.0 5sp with a MSPNP2. Other mods would be Edelbrock performer heads, Explorer intake, FoMoCo 47 lb injectors, 70mm Accufab TB, full 2.5" exhaust, and an old school Paxton sn2000 on it. All mods were done before I bought it. Would like to do more to it, but would like to get the tune sorted out before I start adding more to it. Supposedly it was tuned by a shop in Nov of 16. It does run well at wot. But has issues with normal drivablity. At a cold start and ambient temp below say 70*, it will start up fine and idle down fine. A cold start at ambient temp around 90*, it will start drop real low almost dying and run like crap until I baby it enough to get on the road, once I get going it seems to be fine. Hot start does basically the same thing. I've also noticed it seems to have some dead spots while going through the gears less than half throttle or so. Not wot. It happens around 1,800 and again around 3,500. While this happens, I notice the AFR is way lean, like 15-16. It also has a small idle surge 100 rpm or so. Vacuum is around 17-18 stock cam. And a few other issues I can't think of right now. I'm assuming it just needs the fuel dialed in more. But I'd like someone to look over my current tune to see if there's anything else out of wack, before I start messing with it. I really appreciate any and all help! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok. Thanks. Here's what I got off the ecu. I saved it as original tune. Hopefully it will attach. I would like to add that when I bought the car the "electronics" ground wire for the wideband (its a Spartan2) was unhooked. I hooked it back up, and it appers to be working now, but I read that a wideband in an active exhaust stream that is not powered will ruin it. So, it's possible that it isn't accurate anymore. Would it be worth temporarily changing the tune to "don't include afr target" to see if it will run better? I do plan on buying a new wideband.

Attachments

• original tune5-19-18.msq
    115.9 KB · Views: 181
Don't change any settings arbitrarily unless you know what they do. If you turn 'include afr target' off the system will no longer treat the afr table as a real table, it will be a reference table only.
Sounds like the car was "tuned" a lot of guys get a partial tune from a dyno shop as the car does not see all load scenarios like it does on the street, getting a shop to do cold and hot start tuning cost's quite a bit and requires they have the car for extended periods of time.

Ditto on all that. If you can create datalogs of your engine starting scenarios, we could help figure out what the car needs. cold engine start, warm engine start, in both cold ambient temps and hot ambient temps would be beneficial.

I will work on the datalogs. Might be a little slow getting them. Been working on the house. Ha! Have to keep the wife happy.
Did you or anyone else get a chance to look at the tune. Did anything look out of wack? Anything you'd change? Or is it good enough to just start dataloging and make changes from there? Thanks!

Last edited:
I got a little time to do a few logs. This one is from a cold start through till the thermostat opened up. It started normal on this log, ambient temp was around 75-80*.

Attachments

• cold start to warm up.msl
    2.8 MB · Views: 174
This one is driving "normal", not wot. I held the gears to show the "dead" spots or "falling on it's face" around 3,500 and 1,800. I think I focused on 3500 first then 1800 towards the last.

Attachments

• driving.msl
    607.8 KB · Views: 147
I can see from the tune, your MSPNP2 needs a firmware update. Latest is 3.4.2; you have 3.3.1
http://www.msextra.com/downloads/

Looks like you're using Tuner Studio Lite. You need the paid version to enable VEAL (VE Analyzer Live), i.e. Auto Tune.

Blown88GT I do plan on getting the paid version if it's worth it. Is it?
I thought I read in the manual that if I update firmware, it would mess the tune up. Will it? Will it cause problems tuning if I don't upgrade?

The paid version is very worth it way better than the lite version. I use TS ultra, but it's not needed for the average guy.

Back the tune up and update, it won't mess up the tune but things will look much different after the update. A lot more options.

The updated firmware will work better, the upgraded tuning software will add features that I can't imagine tuning without.

The paid version is very worth it way better than the lite version. I use TS ultra, but it's not needed for the average guy.

Back the tune up and update, it won't mess up the tune but things will look much different after the update. A lot more options.

The updated firmware will work better, the upgraded tuning software will add features that I can't imagine tuning without.

a91what, are the datalogs I posted still usable with the outdated firmware? Or do I need to update the firmware and log again?

They will still work fine, megalog viewer just reads the datalog.

I can look things over for you and give you some advice when I get a chance.

Ok. I appreciate any and all advice. No rush, I'd like to get it running right, but I have other stuff going on too.
Is the paid version of megalog viewer worth it too?

Ok. I appreciate any and all advice. No rush, I'd like to get it running right, but I have other stuff going on too.
Is the paid version of megalog viewer worth it too?
I tune a lot of cars so for me it is worth it. It will open some extra features like ve analyzer this will allow you to autotune from a datalog. Since I do remote tuning this is a valuable tool to help dial things in after the initial tune session. Now autotune and ve analyzer are great tools but they won't replace the need to manually adjust fuel in some areas.

I was reading on how to update the firmware, and have a couple questions about it.
1. I have a MSPNP2 not a diypnp. Do I still need to use a boot jumper like the diypnp?
2. Is pulling the ignition coil fuse the only thing I have to do? Would unplugging the plug at the coil do the same thing?
Thanks!

The newest version of TS has a built in firmware loader, no need to do any bootloader jumper changes.

Its under Tools drop box 'update/install firmware'

unplug the coil and disconnect the engine harness at the salt and pepper shakers.