93 5.0 MSPNP2 tuning ?s

The newest version of TS has a built in firmware loader, no need to do any bootloader jumper changes.

Its under Tools drop box 'update/install firmware'

unplug the coil and disconnect the engine harness at the salt and pepper shakers.

Ok. Thanks! That sounds easier.
Is it just me or does it seem somewhat difficult to find info on diyautotune, and if you do, it just seems generalized. Nothing specific for each unit. Maybe it just me, not the smartest cookie. Ha!

• Sponsors (?)

I was reading on how to update the firmware, and have a couple questions about it.
1. I have a MSPNP2 not a diypnp. Do I still need to use a boot jumper like the diypnp?
2. Is pulling the ignition coil fuse the only thing I have to do? Would unplugging the plug at the coil do the same thing?
Thanks!
1. They both use the same CPU "motherboard", i.e. Microsquirt Module. Boot jumper is only needed the 1st time when the firmware is blank or if it gets terribly corrupted, which is uncommon.
2. Not necessary.

Just looking at the tune briefly here are a few concerns i have with this being a streetcar.

-the table scaling HEAVILY favors the boost portion of the tune where the car spends the least amount of time this will have to be rescaled. This is in all the tables VE AFR and IGN
-The AFR table is very rich in the idle and cruise ranges this will result in poor fuel economy and fouling spark plugs
-The IGN table is very conservative in the cruise ranges, this will need to be re mapped

The Idle valve is setup to go to a set position, this is called open loop idle tuning. the problem is with that is adaptive idle advance is also enabled, this strategy works off of the closed loop targets [the idle valve is not in closed loop, so they are not working together].

this will need some reworking to be driven as a streetcar.

Just looking at the tune briefly here are a few concerns i have with this being a streetcar.

-the table scaling HEAVILY favors the boost portion of the tune where the car spends the least amount of time this will have to be rescaled. This is in all the tables VE AFR and IGN
-The AFR table is very rich in the idle and cruise ranges this will result in poor fuel economy and fouling spark plugs
-The IGN table is very conservative in the cruise ranges, this will need to be re mapped

The Idle valve is setup to go to a set position, this is called open loop idle tuning. the problem is with that is adaptive idle advance is also enabled, this strategy works off of the closed loop targets [the idle valve is not in closed loop, so they are not working together].

this will need some reworking to be driven as a streetcar.

Yes, I noticed how they had it programmed to be rich, but yet it seems lean most of the time. Except at wot. It definitely needs help.

I have another problem right now. I have no idea what happened. I was using TS to update the firmware, the ecu was connected the whole time until I got to installing the firmware page. Then it said it wasn't connected. Got out of the install helper, sure enough it wasn't connected. Turn the key off, back to koeo, no fuel pump prime now. And can not get TS to connect now. What did I fudge up now? When I when into "install & update firmware" the first time it connected just fine, until I got to installing the firmware page, then no connection. What do I do now?

Well, I finally got the firmware updated, but it wouldn't work through TS. I did it through the downloaded firmware package and used ms2loader_win32.exe . Then I loaded my tune. But it appears that my settings are all lost. None of my gages are correct. Any way to get these set like they were? Thanks

Well, I finally got the firmware updated, but it wouldn't work through TS. I did it through the downloaded firmware package and used ms2loader_win32.exe . Then I loaded my tune. But it appears that my settings are all lost. None of my gages are correct. Any way to get these set like they were? Thanks
You will have to go under the tools menu at the top of TS and recalibrate all the sensor inputs. If you look up the ms2pnp for the 5.0 it has the mat and clt temp sensor values. The tps is done in car. Wideband will need to be looked up by manufacturer.
If you can't find these values or info let me know I'm good with these things

You will have to go under the tools menu at the top of TS and recalibrate all the sensor inputs. If you look up the ms2pnp for the 5.0 it has the mat and clt temp sensor values. The tps is done in car. Wideband will need to be looked up by manufacturer.
If you can't find these values or info let me know I'm good with these things

Thanks. I believe I got the tps, map, clt, mat, and afr reading correctly now. Would have anything else changed that I need to check before I start the car?

You will know once you turn the key if something is way off.

Save the tune with an identifiable name first and load it here for review.

Now when I'm at my laptop later I can upload some photos of ignition and afr tables for you to look at.

I'm trying to help without doing it for you, so have patience.. if I just do it for you then you won't learn it.

You will know once you turn the key if something is way off.

Save the tune with an identifiable name first and load it here for review.

Now when I'm at my laptop later I can upload some photos of ignition and afr tables for you to look at.

I'm trying to help without doing it for you, so have patience.. if I just do it for you then you won't learn it.

Here's the current tune after the firmware update and recalibrating the sensors.
I appreciate the help. Thank you for the guidance.
There for a little bit I was freaking out, I thought I fried my ecu when I couldn't connect to it, and there was no fuel pump prime. Lol!

Attachments

• after new firm.msq
    117.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Well, it starts and runs like before. So that's good after I thought I screwed it up.... I did check the base timing. It was off about 1.5* so I changed the offset to take care of that. I messed around a little with the ve table at idle, I had to add 10-15 to get the wideband to match the AFR table. Seems to be like that in several spots. How did they get the tune that far off? You'd thought a shop would get it closer than that.

Reactions: 1 user
Read the notes in the firmware package. They will tell you what may change.

Your ASE is no good, always read the Tool Tips.
Immediately after the engine has started it is normal to need additional fuel. This curve specifies how much as a percentage adder. (5-50%)
You start at 17% & go to 0% before engine is warm.

WUE is just as bad. You figure it out.

Last edited:
Blown88gt, I see what you are saying on the ASE & WUE. That may be my hot start and cold start, hot ambient temp problems. Although I'm not sure what to change it to. I did download the base tune for mspnp2 for a 5.0 mustang to compare. Should I change to what they have for the ASE & WUE & ASE taper? Cause I see my ASE taper is 0, which I think means it doesn't come on at all.
Another question, I was just playing around with stuff, and on the "required fuel" section, I was just making sure everything was right. It was, so I didn't change any #s, and just hit the "required fuel" button and hit "ok" to see if anything changes, and it did. It was 13.0 and 6.5ms. It changed to 8.4 and 4.2ms. Why did this change when nothing was changed, and would this have anything to do with me having to increase the VE table yesterday to get the correct afr?
Please bear with me as I didn't write this tune and have zero experience with MS. I just happened to buy this car with this tune and MS, and I'm trying to get it right. It'd be nice to have a step by step process for me to go through to fix it. As I'm sure some things need to be done before others, or I'll be chasing my tail.

Last edited:
@a91what what is your thoughts on my 2 posts above? I don't want to change anything without someone with experience saying it's ok. I'm thinking changing "required fuel" is pretty important in the tune. And I can't figure out how they came up with the #s they had in there, cause when I do it, it's different.
And your thoughts on the other things?
I did go ahead and get the paid version of megalog with the TS. Figured it'd be nice to tune off of logs.
Also, have you or anyone else used Shadow Dash MS? Supposedly you can datalog with your phone and view them later on your laptop. That would be a nice feature to have. Does it work well though? Thanks!