93 mustang premium sound radio question

I have a 93 mustang lx 5.0 coupe with 34 k miles on it. The radio in it does not work and it’s not the factory radio although it is a ford radio. According to the VIN number it’s supposed to have part number F3ZF-19B165-AB. Does anybody know where to locate one of these or know what other stock radios are interchangeable?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 93 mustang lx 5.0 coupe with 34 k miles on it. The radio in it does not work and it’s not the factory radio although it is a ford radio. According to the VIN number it’s supposed to have part number F3ZF-19B165-AB. Does anybody know where to locate one of these or know what other stock radios are interchangeable?

Nope! But if you locate a cache of them be sure to post them up in the classifieds section :stick:

F-150's used a similar style radio.

Here is one for sale. I can't say for certain it would work, however I did buy a 94 F-150 CD player that plugged into my 93 Mustang without issue.

You can take a look at the back and see if the plug matches in your pictures. Bottom and top plates are usually swappable for brackets and such.

90s winstars, contours, mystiques and f150s and even some SN95 Mustangs came with the same single DIN CD player. You’ll need to swap your faveplate and bottom tray over to it however as the Mustang faveplate is squares and the bottom plate has the provision for the sunglasses tray.

I did this is my car. Mine is a 97 contour CD player. Pics in this thread of the conversion

F-150's used a similar style radio.

Here is one for sale. I can't say for certain it would work, however I did buy a 94 F-150 CD player that plugged into my 93 Mustang without issue.

You can take a look at the back and see if the plug matches in your pictures. Bottom and top plates are usually swappable for brackets and such.

that radio won’t work. It would in a 87-92, but lacks the unique 93 style premium jbl plugs. You are right that some f150 radios do work

that radio won’t work. It would in a 87-92, but lacks the unique 93 style premium jbl plugs. You are right that some f150 radios do work

Yeah, my 91 is an aftermarket unit and I did the F-150 swap for my 93 model. It's been a lot of years since I messed with that, so I couldn't remember all of the changes. Your thread was really helpful though :)

I’ve found them for cheaper. Set up a few ebay searches and once in a while a contour CD player pops up for $50. I’ve bought a few like this. They still pop up
Thanks for all the comments. i Have the premium sound system with the amp underneath passenger side seat. There are six plugs behind the radio. Looks like there are 4 that come from the amp and two that are from a different wiring harness. By the way I have the wrong radio for this setup. Are all six of them supposed to go in the back of the radio? I have Yet to find a Ford radio out there that had six plug ins. Hep please!,,

Two male plugs plug into to female plugs that run down to the amp under the seat. From the amp is the single plug with the blue wire, and a make plug. Those two plugs plug into the radio.

take a look at the thread I linked before and it shows the harness and the plugs

Reactions: 1 user
As Mike (Mustang5L5) said, check out the link to his article. I can honestly say his thread is one of, if not THE, best threads on the net. I used it for buying my components and then installing them in my '91 vert. They made everything painless and with no surprises. System worked as it should on the first try. I found a Sable (IIRC) AM/FM CD player, a '93 amp and harness and a standard AM/FM (robbed the storage compartment and bracket off of it), on Ebay and have about $250 total in it. While the faceplate isn't 100% correct for a Mustang, it still looks and fits like it's supposed to be there....and uses all factory wiring (with the one small mod that Mike outlines in his thread).

IMG_0345.jpg

Dang, I got a stock radio out of a 92 for $25 a couple of years ago from a guy on craigslist. My 90 has an aftermarket and if/when I redo the interior, it's going in. IIRC, he had more than one. I guess I should have stocked up.