94 5.0 & T5 Drive Train Swap Into A 93 Gt Fox

cobrak691

Feb 2, 2016
I pulled my engine and trans from my 93 GT a year ago to donate to a project i was working on at the time. Now aI want to get my 93 on the road again. I got a very good deal on a 94 with low miles running the 5.0 with T5 and it is complete with headers and all the accessories and top half. I have the 94 harness and ECM, but I also have the 93 Harness and ECM. I can see the upper intake angle is different and the ignition system is different. Not sure if I can run it like it is or if I need to change those.

The question I have is what all will I need to change to make this swap work in my 93? Has anyone done this? I searched the forums prior to posting and I couldn't find anyone who has done this swap, and I don't want to get balls deep and find issues.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Use the 93 harness and ECM. The 94 harness won't mate to the body harness.

Find a 5.0 assessory setup, and swap the upper intake/TB for a fox style setup.

Finally, use a fox mustang bellhousing, and swap the t-5 input shaft and bearing retainer for a fox style one.

Why would the bell housing and input shaft need to change? They are married already. Will the clutch fork not clear? I'm aware the bell is a little longer and the shifter will move back a tad, but i was under the impression it would work.

The 94 accessory brackets won't work in a 93 and neither will the wiring harness or computer.

You'll need the 93 accessory brackets and quite possibly the 93 power steering pump. The 94 pump is supposed to be a better pump but I'm not sure that all the fittings are the same.

The 3G alternator from the 94 is a plus upgrade, but you will need to change the wiring and modify the alternator mount. See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/3g-alternator-install-a-how-to.646825/#post-6673702.

The ignition system has a remote mount TFI module which is a plus upgrade, but you will have to make some changes to the wiring to make it work. If you decide to stick with the stock 93 wiring, you will need a 86-93 5.0 distributor.

If the 94 has a stock intake manifold, you will need a 87-93 upper intake manifold that matches the lower intake manifold. Some 94 upper intake manifolds use an add on angle adapter to make it fit in the 94 engine compartment. This would be a great time to do an explorer intake swap.

The 94 T5 puts the shifter about 11/16 further back from the stock location. The 94 -95 T5 input shaft is about 11/16 longer and so is the bellhousing that goes with it.

Parts to save from the 94
Front spindles and rear axles - 5 lug conversion swap parts.
MAF - it is a 70 MM unit that is a direct swap for the 55 MM stock MAF on the 93.
Alternator - the 3G alternator is a 130 amp unit.
Seats - supposed to be a direct swap.
AC compressor and condenser (AC coil up front of the radiator) 94 94 parts work much better with R134a which is the buy it anywhere refrigerant nowadays.

There probably is more, but that is all that comes to mind at this time.

Why would the bell housing and input shaft need to change? They are married already. Will the clutch fork not clear? I'm aware the bell is a little longer and the shifter will move back a tad, but i was under the impression it would work.

It will work but the trans mount points are moved back also. The cross member will not bolt up. I'm unsure on the driveshaft length and should also be in question. For the intake you'll either need the throttle cable from a 94/95 or just get a fox intake. The fox stock H.O can bolt to the 94/95 stock lower.

You can make the 3/4" in length work, but there's a few things that won't line up. Shifter and trans Xmember are two major things. You'll need to trim the tran tunnel slightly to get the shifter to not hit in 2nd and 4th.

Just easier to track down the $100-150 in parts and have it fit correctly.