94 Z28 Vs 93 Notch

With your car being a notch you'll have at least a 3-400# weight advantage. You should also have him in the hp department. So...as long as you don't screw up(spinning at the line,miss a gear,etc) you should have him covered. Set your rear tire pressure down to about 25#. Pump the fronts up to about 40#. Lossen your front sway bar. Make sure your timing is set to around 12-15*adv with the spout out. Don't drive into the water for a burnout! Drive around it and do a small little burnout to clean/slightly heat the rubber. Try launching at about 2k with a quick/smooth clutch release. Kind of riding the clutch out of the hole. Do a no lift shift at 1-2 but I would use the clutch/semi lift for 3rd gear if you are not used to powershifting. Depending on track/your ability/weather/altitude/etc you should easily run 13's. I predict anywhere from 13.4-14.0 depending on variables and a win against both cars. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Also to the above poster, 5.0 5 speed cars were rated 14.3 in the quarter off the lot, it was the aod cars pushing 15/16 seconds

The 1993 Cobra ran a best 14.4. That motor made 235hp. He essentially has a cobra set up that has been opened up slightly, with a slightly better cam an a way better gear. You will be surprised to find out that your not as fast as you think. That's why I gave him a high 13. The Z28 made 275hp stock. add a few bolt ons and he is probably around 290. So, unless everyone is going to agree that you gain over 55 hp from an E cam and some exhaust......I love a fox body, but realistically it's his race to lose.

Depending on what year that 4.6 is, you may not have him matched for power either.

The 1993 Cobra ran a best 14.4. That motor made 235hp. He essentially has a cobra set up that has been opened up slightly, with a slightly better cam an a way better gear. You will be surprised to find out that your not as fast as you think. That's why I gave him a high 13. The Z28 made 275hp stock. add a few bolt ons and he is probably around 290. So, unless everyone is going to agree that you gain over 55 hp from an E cam and some exhaust......I love a fox body, but realistically it's his race to lose.

Depending on what year that 4.6 is, you may not have him matched for power either.
My 89lx hatch,93 GT both ran around 14-14.2 with completely stock longblocks on street tires. With just boltons. With the old 15 minute tuneup and some sticky DOT Hoosiers and gears/exhaust they ran high 13's. These were at Union Groove drag strip near Milwaukee. Not at an east coast low altitude track. The op has a cam,better heads and intake bumping hp to around 260-275hp(this is typically what range those mods produce). With it being a notch and note mods I know for a fact I could get a mid 13 out of it on street tires. With a set of sticky tires low 13's. The old magazine articles were all driven by journalist who didn't have a clue how to get any performance out of the cars.

You ran high 13's with sticky tires, he will run high 13's on street tires with the benefit of his cam. He goes from a 209 duration to 220. Same exact heads that were on the Cobra, Same exact intake that is on a Cobra, same exact injectors that are on a cobra, slightly larger throttle body and a larger MAF. I would shoot a chevy before I ever owned one, so for me to say he is gonna lose to one is kinda like eating a jar of war heads (candy) Ex: My car has reworked GT40p's with comp springs, gasket matched explorer intake, 76MM throttle body, 76MM C&L, 24lb injectors, matching MAF, AFPR set to 42 lbs, F303 cam, MSD coil and distributor, FRPP headers, Pypes Violator complete catless exhaust, 4.10 gears, world class T-5, pretty decent clutch, running 14 degrees advanced on 26 x 10.0 MT Drags. Car put down almost 290 HP on a Dyno Jet. Best run its ever had was 7.97 in the 1/8th at almost 94 mph. Comes out to be somewhere around a high 12 low 13. Now I have a bigger cam, bigger throttle body, better heads. Do you think he would come close to what I am running? I just don't want to see someone get out there and think they have a 12 sec car and can barely get it into the 13's, then wonder what went wrong. If he runs a mid 13, he will good about it because it ran better than he thought.

You ran high 13's with sticky tires, he will run high 13's on street tires with the benefit of his cam. He goes from a 209 duration to 220. Same exact heads that were on the Cobra, Same exact intake that is on a Cobra, same exact injectors that are on a cobra, slightly larger throttle body and a larger MAF. I would shoot a chevy before I ever owned one, so for me to say he is gonna lose to one is kinda like eating a jar of war heads (candy) Ex: My car has reworked GT40p's with comp springs, gasket matched explorer intake, 76MM throttle body, 76MM C&L, 24lb injectors, matching MAF, AFPR set to 42 lbs, F303 cam, MSD coil and distributor, FRPP headers, Pypes Violator complete catless exhaust, 4.10 gears, world class T-5, pretty decent clutch, running 14 degrees advanced on 26 x 10.0 MT Drags. Car put down almost 290 HP on a Dyno Jet. Best run its ever had was 7.97 in the 1/8th at almost 94 mph. Comes out to be somewhere around a high 12 low 13. Now I have a bigger cam, bigger throttle body, better heads. Do you think he would come close to what I am running? I just don't want to see someone get out there and think they have a 12 sec car and can barely get it into the 13's, then wonder what went wrong. If he runs a mid 13, he will good about it because it ran better than he thought.
I think we are pretty much in agreement on his cars potential. Also the lt1 camaros weren't very quick. My 00 camaro SS with the LS motor was rated at around 325. It ran 13.4-13.5 completely stock. He'd have a hard time against an LS but that Z shouldn't be quicker. I believe it will be a fun/close race but he should be able to take it. If he can't drive and the other guy can...well probably not. Hope he posts back especially with a time slip to see what happened.

Hey guys, if I could get my phone to work I could post up these time slips. Maybe I'll do it from a computer tomorrow. Anyway we each had 5 runs, my best was a 13.5 at 104 mph, my buddy's 4.6 is a 2002, he ran a 13.8, and the Z28 ran a 13.5 essentially dead even with me. I had him on the launch and he reeled me in slowly

Reactions: 1 users
I am so bad w technology. Anyway I was really happy with my times. Had a lot of fun, and was actually surprised to find out my car's capabilities. Even w minimal mods I thought that Camaro was faster

Most of you guys are probably too young to remember when this race was common place.
LT1 Camaro's were garbage back in the day. (1993 puts me at 18 years old, trust me, I know).
Pretty much every foxbody guy I know had 3.73 gears, UD pulleys, a k&n, bumped timing, and an offroad h pipe. Most ranged from 13.5-14.0 (some even quicker).
I know some of you look at low 13's as a feat, but honestly it's not. It's why I think gt40 iron head swaps don't serve much purpose.

Nobody in a fox that could drive ever lost to a stockish lt1.

Then came the LS1 and we all started losing.

Most of you guys are probably too young to remember when this race was common place.
LT1 Camaro's were garbage back in the day. (1993 puts me at 18 years old, trust me, I know).
Pretty much every foxbody guy I know had 3.73 gears, UD pulleys, a k&n, bumped timing, and an offroad h pipe. Most ranged from 13.5-14.0 (some even quicker).
I know some of you look at low 13's as a feat, but honestly it's not. It's why I think gt40 iron head swaps don't serve much purpose.

Nobody in a fox that could drive ever lost to a stockish lt1.

Then came the LS1 and we all started losing.

Correct. Through the late 80's and early 90's, I smoked more vette's, camaros and T/A's than the Marlboro man. Then came the 275hp chevy motor and you had to add a power adder or an HCI to stay competitive.

We were all gaga when guys got their cars into the 12's back then. Now, a slow car is a 12 second car- and it's a 4 banger ricer.

Correct. Through the late 80's and early 90's, I smoked more vette's, camaros and T/A's than the Marlboro man. Then came the 275hp chevy motor and you had to add a power adder or an HCI to stay competitive.

We were all gaga when guys got their cars into the 12's back then. Now, a slow car is a 12 second car- and it's a 4 banger ricer.
I'm gonna beat my dead horse one more time. The lt1's are still a decent bang for the buck it seems. It took the op's mustang over $1,000 in parts to tie a stock z28 with God knows how many miles and a tune up. (I'm not bashing your ride I'll take a 13.5)If the z28 owner would've spent the money on a head job etc it would've been lightsout for the mustang.
Moral of the story is; if you wanna go faster for cheaper get a GM. If you want to be comfortable and don't mind spending the money to play catch-up go get a mustang. The Lt and ls Camaros and Firebirds were horrible to ride in. The seat was real low and it had that long azz dash, and that damn hump in the passenger floorboard.... But stock for stock they were spanking the dogchit outta mustang gt's in the mid 90's and early 2000's before the camaro/firebird took a hiatus. We weren't even on the same playing field, we were racing civics(notice how the magazines were always pairing the cobra and the z28 for comparison test but never the gt vs the z28).
@2000xp8 I'm old enough to know and yes I agree that in today's world spending money on gt40 stuff is a waste, we have too much ground to cover and the bang for the buck just isn't there. $1,000 for a set of GT40x heads or $1,300 or so for tfs 170.
Ps: why ford why did ya leave us hanging until now!?

Last edited:
It's undeniable that the GT40 setup is slowly but surely being made redundant, but you still can't argue it's $/hp ratio. Exploder engine is ~$500, and a cam is $180. Headers are ~$300. That's ~$1100 worth of parts alone that bumps a stock 302 about 90 horsepower.

1100/90 = $12 per horse.

A TFS top end kit (170cc) is $2700, and takes you up to 380. That's a 160 horsepower gain. That's not counting rockers (~$160) and injectors (~$150 on ebay).

$~3000/160 = $18.75 per horse.

Bash it all you will, but it works. A lighter GT40 car that's been well tuned will be a match for the TFS top end cars at the strip, and cost less.

I've done plenty of math, and I really do believe a mildly boosted 302 Exploder with a Vortech is the best possible combination for our cars, $/hp wise.

OP, you posted the ET's, what about the traps?

Last edited:
It's undeniable that the GT40 setup is slowly but surely being made redundant, but you still can't argue it's $/hp ratio. Exploder engine is ~$500, and a cam is $180. Headers are ~$300. That's ~$1100 worth of parts alone that bumps a stock 302 about 90 horsepower.

1100/90 = $12 per horse.

A TFS top end kit (170cc) is $2700, and takes you up to 380. That's a 160 horsepower gain. That's not counting rockers (~$160) and injectors (~$150 on ebay).

$~3000/160 = $18.75 per horse.

Bash it all you will, but it works. A lighter GT40 car that's been well tuned will be a match for the TFS top end cars at the strip, and cost less.

I've done plenty of math, and I really do believe a mildly boosted 302 Exploder with a Vortech is the best possible combination for our cars, $/hp wise.

OP, you posted the ET's, what about the traps?
But the tfs kit for $3k is using new parts and most people don't have a machine shop in their garage to refurbish junkyard heads so labor has to be factored in. I think the op said he went 104 mph

A n/a gt-40 equipped 5.0 will not match a n/a TFS top end 5.0 at the track, it will lose.

^^ Agreed