Progress Thread 95 2-Top Cobra Build Thread- Never ending

• Sponsors (?)

One project I want to do over the winter is to paint my intake manifold cast aluminum style like factory. It is flaking and is discolored from rubbing on hood insulation with bad motor mounts. Any info on removing the upper intake is greatly appreciated. I’ll be using rustoleoum cast aluminum enamel.
Below are pics of my engine bay when we bought the cobra and then to now after a minor clean up and detailing.
E2343C27-3AC7-4B42-873C-C1E007541350.jpeg
D947FD44-CEEA-4629-BA50-83B8E6C1791B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I know I could get new rims for the price, but I really enjoy the stock look but want to fit more than a 275 which is pushing it on an 8 inch
A 275 is still a pretty good sized tire. That will handle most anything you can throw at it. They fill up the wheel wells pretty nicely as well.

Pretty good yes I agree but you really can’t replace the look of a 10 inch wheel. Might be a little unnecessary but I think it’ll look real nice filling out the wheel well properly

Also for removing the manifold just have some questions. I know I’ll have to remove the CAI and throttle body, two vacuum lines from the tree and then the 4 or so bolts on top. Will I have to replace the throttle body gasket after removing and replacing. And for painting the manifold itself? What would be the best way to paint the black insert for the Cobra plaque? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
A 275 is still a pretty good sized tire. That will handle most anything you can throw at it. They fill up the wheel wells pretty nicely as well.
Do yourself a favor and have it power coated, the intake not the cobra insert. I don't about the cobra plate, I got a nice one in the stash box.
Isn’t powder coating quite pricey? The rust oleum yields great results I’ve seen and can have it done in a weekend. My mistake, it seems on the 94-95 cobra it isn’t a plaque like the later cobras and it doesn’t have it for sale like the 93s

Paint the intake, tape off the plaque area ad paint that black, and then hit the raised lips with a sanding disc for that fresh machined look.
What do you recommend as far as paint prep? And paint the entire intake including the plaque area, and then going over with black. I also plan to do the valve covers gloss black while they’re available

I stripped my intake, but ifyour finish isn’t too bad, you can scuff it up and paint over it. I stripped mine using Citristrip.

After that, mask off everything except the black area and spray that. Give it time to cure, then take a 5-6” sander with a light grip and clean up the lifted boss areas to make it look freshly machined.

Similar to how I did mine

2510CEB8-32B4-4EC9-B817-55AAB2D0AF8B.jpeg

I stripped my intake, but ifyour finish isn’t too bad, you can scuff it up and paint over it. I stripped mine using Citristrip.

After that, mask off everything except the black area and spray that. Give it time to cure, then take a 5-6” sander with a light grip and clean up the lifted boss areas to make it look freshly machined.

Similar to how I did mine

2510CEB8-32B4-4EC9-B817-55AAB2D0AF8B.jpeg
Thank you very much! I most likely will strip mine as it’s peeling and I want a uniform finish. Just bought the rustoleoum cast coat aluminum paint for only $5 on sale! Attached below are pics of my intake now.
799F5258-D9D3-4DF5-BEA4-D460EDE5C1D2.jpeg
902AE6A6-1042-4CC8-93DD-2F9064506A3D.jpeg

And do the valve cover, upper to lower intake, and throttle body gaskets need to be replaced with removal?
Never had to replace these upon removal. Sometimes vc gaskets can be difficult and require replacement if they tear though. If you replace them with the blue steel core ones they pretty much last forever though.

As far as paint prep, I’ve always liked to clean the outer surfaces with carb cleaner, then wipe down with wax and grease remover. The carb cleaner will actually loosen up existing paint for easy removal with a wire brush if you choose to do so. Then I always use some self etching primer followed by the topcoat of choice. Done quite a few this way and it tends to last for a good while.

Reactions: 1 user