Progress Thread 95 2-Top Cobra Build Thread- Never ending

Never had to replace these upon removal. Sometimes vc gaskets can be difficult and require replacement if they tear though. If you replace them with the blue steel core ones they pretty much last forever though.

As far as paint prep, I’ve always liked to clean the outer surfaces with carb cleaner, then wipe down with wax and grease remover. The carb cleaner will actually loosen up existing paint for easy removal with a wire brush if you choose to do so. Then I always use some self etching primer followed by the topcoat of choice. Done quite a few this way and it tends to last for a good while.
Liking this approach as not a fan of the chemical strippers. I’ll hold off on the gaskets because if worse comes to worse, I’ll just grab it from autozone. Planning to tackle this next weekend. No need for a clear coat correct? That will just make the intake too glossy to look OE

• Sponsors (?)

The carb cleaner has its fair share of chemicals. I like it if I just need to take a little bit of paint off (like the cover plate). If the upper has already been painted all over, some stripper may be better.

I’ve clear coated a couple before if somebody asks specifically for it. I agree they look too flashy when cleared. Just some cast coat looks best imo.

Reactions: 1 user
The carb cleaner has its fair share of chemicals. I like it if I just need to take a little bit of paint off (like the cover plate). If the upper has already been painted all over, some stripper may be better.

I’ve clear coated a couple before if somebody asks specifically for it. I agree they look too flashy when cleared. Just some cast coat looks best imo.
And last question, sorry for the abundance. On my passenger valve cover with some casting numbers it seems and the build date. Should I try and preserve this? It’s a little worn obviously Or remove it and paint it all

Liking this approach as not a fan of the chemical strippers.

That’s why chose to use citristrip. It’s definitely less harsh and no fumes

It’s slower though. I lathered up my intake with it pretty good, and then threw it in a trash bag and let it sit 24hours. Then I threw it in my sink and the paint peeled off in sheets.

repeated it and then done. Then I washed in soap and water.

44F85465-7F93-4121-8252-2A9F64F965EA.jpeg

60D89A43-73E5-4DFE-954E-5D71F3A82F26.jpeg

Last edited:
And the intake plaque I did.

I did and initial sanding with a rotary sander to get the initial finish done. Then I painted the entire thing black. Then I lightly hit it with the rotary again to remove the paint where I didn’t want it

Was really easy
6FD24505-50DA-4B09-9EE6-9A6D6DF263C4.jpeg

What’s the best way of covering up the head internals while the valve covers are off? I’m thinking some cling wrap material covered by a plastic drape or something similar

Last edited:
Tackling this starting tomorrow morning and have some last minutes questions. For the first pic down below, do I remove the line that comes from the fuel regulator and that red hose from the intake? Or should I just unscrew that whole insert.
And finally. What are the hoses I need to disconnect before yanking the manifold. I see one that runs underneath but hard to reach. I’ll attach extra pics.
1DB3B3AF-4824-46EC-A9AE-A3E60B34AC1D.jpeg
A3C8D061-A76D-402D-8057-6186A56DC029.jpeg
3E6A95DC-15C4-4252-AF78-8E50BF781775.jpeg
26960DD1-4469-4FCC-A63A-577411852891.jpeg
A3EDB30F-5F97-4E72-9E56-776FDC689F1D.jpeg

Just take your time and detach all hoses from the intake as you go. Take pictures of them prior to unplugging them so that your can go back to see where they were in case you forget. It’s not that bad once you get going. You can handle it.

And PS, widening the factory Cobra wheels gets my vote. Go for it, it would look killer.

Reactions: 1 users
Took off the valve covers and manifold and got them painted. Replaced all vacuum lines under intake and new egr gasket. Installed everything in reverse order and cleaned all gasket surfaces. Went to go start car and it cranked but didn’t start. Fuel pump was running. I’ll check the checklist later just wanted to keep up with my situation. Could be do,thing dimple as I finished up in the dark...

I took this pic before I tried to start it and it seems everything on the distributor and coil is plugged in. Hopefully tomorrow it’s something easy and I won’t have to disassemble
EAFEE049-B681-4147-B73C-B68936EDC6AC.jpeg

Anybody wanna bet it's 180 out? Most common problem I've had when installing a distributor.
well besides lack of gas in the tank. Which just happened with the 53 brand x pickup. How can you have just enough gas in the tank to get it in the garage and a few days later it won't start because the tank is mt? No leaks btw.

Anybody wanna bet it's 180 out? Most common problem I've had when installing a distributor.
well besides lack of gas in the tank. Which just happened with the 53 brand x pickup. How can you have just enough gas in the tank to get it in the garage and a few days later it won't start because the tank is mt? No leaks btw.
Distributor was untouched. Only took off the upper manifold so no need to remove it