96-98 Cobra/Mark VIII HP combinations???

4V97GT

Mar 18, 2008
Cherry Hill NJ
Hey everyone, I just joined but i been checking out the site for a while. I just bought a good condition 96 Mark VIII engine im planning to swap into my 97 GT soon. I think I no what all is need to make it fit just working on gathering all the parts, my question is what hp should I be expecting at the wheels with the bolt ons im going with. Im looking for people that have similar combinations and there dyno/ track numbers to give me a good idea where I will stand. Thanks for all the help guys,
Eric

Mark Motor
Cobra Intake manifold with 24lb. injectors
BBK 62mm throttle body
JLT cold air intake. 90mm SCT MAF
BBK Jet hot coated Long tubes
Off road X pipe
Magnaflow cat back
SCT livewire with dyno tune
Stage 2 clutch w/ lightweight flywheel
Aluminum Driveshaft
and thinking probably a 50 shot

So anyone with bolt on 96-98 cobra/Mark VIIIs that can help out with these parts or close to it and a small of nitrous will be very helpfull,
Thanks Everyone

• Sponsors (?)

I dont have long tubes or intake but I have 299.8 rwhp with my 96 Cobra. I have been told that the car is a factory freak so with the long tubes you should be about the same give or take :shrug:

With the 50 shot 320 is possiable. The Mas air wont help and is not needed until exceding 400rwhp. Same with the T-body, it will give better throttle response but make idle to part throttle jerky. And as you know the flywheel and d/s wont "make" hp but will prolly free up a couple horses. So yes you have a realistic expectation. Now if you are not planning on getting boost than you might want to get some used 96 Cobra cams as they are the best cam IMO for N/A applications. If you look at different SVT websites you will see mod for mod 96 Cobras have about 5 more rwhp.

Im going for the 320 w/o the 50 shot tho. I no it can be done on your cobra especially if u consider dyno tuning long tubes, the bigger CAI ect. the throttle body I am most likely buying has changed to the accufab single blade which is said to add between 5-7 on a stock cobra so i no i can pick up a couple from that.

They say that but ask anyone like UM or KGT and they will tell you thats only if you s/c or turbo the car. The stock T-body and MAF can handle 400 rwhp with no problem, if the car cant take in anymore air than a larger t-body isnt gonna help. The 99/01 an Mach1 motors can get there because of a better flowing plenum design and better computer programming. Our engines plenum is a bit more restrictive but ultimatly our heads can flow more.

Well Laser ha 300rwhp with just x pipe catback filter and chip, if i do those plus long tubes throttle body, imrc deletes, big CAI and dyno tuning it doesnt make since tha i would still have same hp as laser even with slightly different cams

Well Laser ha 300rwhp with just x pipe catback filter and chip, if i do those plus long tubes throttle body, imrc deletes, big CAI and dyno tuning it doesnt make since tha i would still have same hp as laser even with slightly different cams

Any Cobra owner will tell you my engine is freak occuance (sp). From time to time you hear of an engine that dynos high and I just got lucky and bought one :shrug: With my mods most pre Mach1 4Vs will only see 288ish at the wheels. Long tubes will give a nice increase but N/A they will prolly only give 6-8rwhp. And I have a H-pipe not X. X pipes sound too raspy IMO

Any Cobra owner will tell you my engine is freak occuance (sp). From time to time you hear of an engine that dynos high and I just got lucky and bought one :shrug: With my mods most pre Mach1 4Vs will only see 288ish at the wheels. Long tubes will give a nice increase but N/A they will prolly only give 6-8rwhp. And I have a H-pipe not X. X pipes sound too raspy IMO

What do you trap in the 1/4?

I dont have to much invested in the swap yet as I am just starting but its going to get a little pricey for me since im doing full intake and exhaust along with dyno tuning, clutch flywheel. ect.

Right now I only trap 100mph but thats with a stock PI 2v with x pipe and catback on bald tires. havent been able to go back to the track since i got my 315s or my MT Drs

The Crank doesnt affect hp numbers though until up high when you need a forged crank but for the power im looking for the stock mark crank will do fine.

What do you trap in the 1/4?

IDK, I only got one run with my Gtech before it gave up the ghost and it said 14.01 in the 1/4 but no speed. I am gonna run in the next month so I have some numbers. I dont have a great rep at the track :( I can never seem to launch well there. Throw me on a road course and Ill tear it up. On the street I can get it just right. At the track its bog or spin, guess that seperates the boys :shrug: The last owner said it was low thirteens at like 102 +/- so I will see. If I could get some DRs that would help im sure. Mabey at the track it wont spin through third :shrug:

IDK, I only got one run with my Gtech before it gave up the ghost and it said 14.01 in the 1/4 but no speed. I am gonna run in the next month so I have some numbers. I dont have a great rep at the track :( I can never seem to launch well there. Throw me on a road course and Ill tear it up. On the street I can get it just right. At the track its bog or spin, guess that seperates the boys :shrug: The last owner said it was low thirteens at like 102 +/- so I will see. If I could get some DRs that would help im sure. Mabey at the track it wont spin through third :shrug:

102 shows about 270 to the wheel. The better you hook lower the trap. Trap shows how much power you have.

Well I will see when I go next month, could be slower could be faster. I just want to see what it can do though the car is more capeable than me :)