97 Mustang GT Engine Swap (Need Help)

Warleader165

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
Hello! New StangNet member here!

I have a 97 Mustang GT 4.6L and the engine recently starting knocking badly, it's to the end of its life. So many people telling me to sell it and get rid of it but it's the only vehicle I have truly enjoy driving so I've decided to engine swap.

I currently have it in the shop and wanted to know what engine I should swap it for.. I have a few ideas but not sure if they would work.

I wanted to swap with an 08 Crown Vic PI engine... Would I run into problems?

I heard the 96 97 and 98 year was built with weak rods so I really would like to stay away from them.

Any other engine suggestions would be highly appreciated! Preferably nothing that would require major modifications to the mounts etc..

Thank you!!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forum! You should try the search in this forum, because this question is a very common one and there are very informative answers in many older threads.

What is your budget? That may help you choose a stock replacement versus putting in a 5.4 (which you'll see does, in fact, fit when you do some searching ;))

-Matt :cheers:

Welcome to the forum! You should try the search in this forum, because this question is a very common one and there are very informative answers in many older threads.

What is your budget? That may help you choose a stock replacement versus putting in a 5.4 (which you'll see does, in fact, fit when you do some searching ;))

-Matt :cheers:
Budget is around 950 for a used engine.. and whatever other parts il need is ok too. I found several crown vic engines w 70k miles for around 800 but wasnt sure if they're good. Thank you!

Are you doing the swap or paying a shop to do it? Again, searching on here will give you the answer of how to make an 08 PI Vic motor work
:dead: :D

As long as the motor has been maintained I wouldn't worry too much about that mileage, but you could pop a valve cover to check for sludge. Hopefully the motor comes with some sort of warranty. Last crown Vic taxi I took in NYC had 300kmi on the clock though!

Personally I'd stick with a 4.6L, they have less issues with heads, intake, and timing. I love the Windsor personally but it can be harder to find parts for it in the mustang because it was only in it from 99 to early 01. how ever they are in the pickups and vans. if your looking for more power I would go with the 5.4 prior to 2004 because of the head design, but if you are looking for reliably the 4.6 Windsor is by far the way to go I have one with 275000 miles with nothing but minor maintenance and no timing chain changed either I would strongly suggest rebuilding what ever you decide to do because you dont know what you are getting.