98 cobra, time to put the parts on - Suggestions?

Zippeh

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2002
North New Jersey
So after all these years of having the parts laying around, we're finally going to go ahead and start installation.

Car is a BAB 98 cobra Vert , pics seen in my recent thread http://forums.stangnet.com/781720-retuning-after-long-hiatus-98-cobra.html

25,000 miles on it, and the goal is a quick weekend drag warrior (for fun) and good weather driver (-I don't see any street courses in my future-)

Besides a tune up, here's a parts list of what I have sitting around, and some other mods I'd like to pick up before instillation. Hopefully you'll throw some suggestions at me :nice:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBK Full length headers
BBK O/R shortie X pipe
Magnaflow back
4.10 gears
KB double cross Subframe connectors
Mac CAI
FRPP Alum Driveshaft
Diablo chip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm HOPING these mods will liven the car up a bit.

I'll need to pick up a speedo recalc of some sort, and I'd like a short throw shifter in the mix.

The ride height has always bothered me and something will be done about it. Suggestions in this area? At the very least I'll just end up cutting the stock springs, but some improved performance for everyday driving that wont compromise the track would be a definite plus.

A blower, at least the prices I've found, is not currently within my budget especially factoring in the cost of instillation, sadly :( So I'm hoping that this setup with maybe a few tweaks here and there might satisfy me for the time being.

So that's that! All that's left is finding the time with my friends and their shop, or a reputable installer in NJ :flag:

hit me with your comments or suggestions!

• Sponsors (?)

I would advise against cutting your springs and getting an aftermarket set of springs. San Diego is pretty much the home of speed bumps and potholes, and some of those lowering combinations put my 98 Cobra vert down way too low where I was routinely scraping my bumper, banging my k-member, as well as the exhaust. I've gone through most of the setups, and I've found that the H&R lowered my car just right, and offering a nice ride that wasn't too cushy or stiff, but still held me well if I decided to get on it a little more. There's not too much difference in the prices of springs, but there's a world of difference in what you get.

Best mod in that list are probably the subframes which have a night and day difference, especially in your vert. Wave goodbye to all those creeks and rattles you're accustomed to, and best of all, that weird feeling when you go over a bump or feel the car wobble as the top does its own thing independent of the body.

Also, 25k miles? You're my hero. I thought I was babying my 98 with only 85k on it.

Do either of you have side profile pictures post spring changes? Where I live in NJ roads are pretty nice, I can think of two speed bumps I ever have to deal with; however I'm not trying to slam the car to the pavement, just ease that 4x4 suspension look.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :nice: and yea, I've done a pretty good job at keeping the miles down so far, but I forsee that changing big time once I get some mods on it

how about a 3/4 view?

that was taken on an ultra sunny day so the contrast makes it pretty hard to get a fair estimate of the drop with the difference between the shadow under the fender and the tire, but you can get a better idea by looking at the rear. I'd say a little over a finger between wheel and fender in the rear, and about 2 or 3 of them in the front.

Attachments

• slayr281.jpg
    slayr281.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 113