99 cobra - cold start problems

bmnova

Nov 23, 2005
I was wondering if anyone has any information on an issue that I am having with my cobra. When it is cold outside, below 60 degrees, my cobra doesn't want to start or staying running and blows smoke. On warm days, the car starts and runs great? The car is not stock, vortech s-trim with cooler, 42 lb injectors, anderson power pipe, anderson pms, 80 pro m, headers, mac cat back, h-pipe with cats, 3:73, tko 600, dual friction centerforce. Again on warm days..the cars starts, runs great and doesn't blow any smoke. On cold days I can't keep the car running....why do you think is the problem???

• Sponsors (?)

I'd just move to Arizona, and keep it garaged during the 2 months of the year where it's actually under 60*.

Seriously though, when you say it smokes, what color smoke is it? What weight oil do you run? I'm going to assume 5w30 or so, but just to give you an idea, I run 20w50 on my ZJ, and on really cold days (below 40 or so here) it has a REAL hard time starting, will smoke, and will idle at like 200rpms for the first 15 or 20 seconds before the oil can circulate. Probably not what's going on in your case, but just some food for thought.

My other thought is perhaps cleaning the IAC would help, but if you're not having idle issues or anything on regular days, it's probably unrelated. Hopefully this bump will get svttech or somebody involved in the thread to chime in.