99 GT Clutch not Disengaging

Chaseskywalker

Jun 1, 2019
Indiana
Hi all,
I'm replacing the clutch on a buddies 99 GT with a TR3650 swap, 11 inch clutch in it. We bought a clutch from Autozone, a Duralast (the actual disc said Valeo though), and we got the clutch all swapped over and finished.

Now, the issue is, when we put it on the ground, the pedal feels normal, but the clutch doesnt disengage. When we try to put it in 1st, it just grinds. Does anybody know what the issue could be?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going to ask the dumb question, did you install the disc correctly? Meaning, the flat surface goes toward the flywheel with the spring setup toward the transmission. Other items if done right would be cable adjustment and/or "automatic adjuster" on clutch pedal (I hate those things).

Yes, the disc is installed correctly. We pulled the tranny back out to verify that, which wouldnt be a big deal, but he's got BBK long tubes so it's an absolute pain in the you-know-what. I had a brand new Steeda adjustable cable sitting around, so I threw that on and no matter how its adjusted, it does the same thing. I'm honestly at a loss. I'm wondering if we got a bad clutch set or something.

Maybe the fork isnt on the pivot stud correctly? It looks like it goes through the full range of motion, though

No harm asking, but glad you know. Now, if the fork is on the ball it would work correctly through travel. The TO bearing usually is right on the fingers of the disc when adjusted. If the clutch is being depressed the fork goes forward to exert pressure on the fingers to release the disc. Unless the disc/cover is wrong, I see no reason for it not to work unless the cable adjuster mechanism on the pedal is bad. I've seen these strip to the point you get travel but not enough clutch action. This is one thing I do not have on the cars I own or do work on. I just had a customer with both, yes both, the manual and automatic cable adjuster on!

Some clutch manufacturers (I use Centerforce) have the user insure the correct distance of the ball on the housing to insure correct operation. I doubt that is the problem but worth investigating at last resort.

Another item is to insure there's no "protective" film on the cover and/or flywheel when replacing them. You need to wipe them clean with solvent type spray grease remover to get the film off.

Okay, I'll have to check his quadrant. He does still have the junk OEM one. That's the first thing that goes on all my Mustangs! I usually use a Steeda double-hook quadrant, matching firewall adjuster, and an OEM cable. I'll have to check that tonight and get back to you