99 GT won't start unless I jam shifter into park. Common?

Stangst

Feb 26, 2021
Florida
1999 GT Automatic, Convertible- Car doesn't seem to be fully engaging in the Park position. I have to strongly force the shifter up into the park position a few times before it will start. Seems to be getting worse. I'm thinking/hoping it's a fairly minor linkage issue, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your neutral safety switch has an issue or the shifter cable is not adjusted correctly. I bought my convertible from a tow yard. They disconnected the shifter cable from the transmission because they did not have the key. When I put it back on I had a similar issue. I adjusted the cable ever so slightly and no more problem. Hopefully this helps you

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like your neutral safety switch has an issue or the shifter cable is not adjusted correctly. I bought my convertible from a tow yard. They disconnected the shifter cable from the transmission because they did not have the key. When I put it back on I had a similar issue. I adjusted the cable ever so slightly and no more problem. Hopefully this helps you
^^^Money:nice:.^^^

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks tigger. I'll give that a try.