99 SVT Cobra Suspension Suggestions

Josh95GT

May 4, 2004
Worcester, MA
I have a 99 SVT Cobr Vert that I bought several months ago. I absolutely love the car and the performance it gives. The one thing I feel I NEED to do however is upgrade the suspension. I think about 1.5 inch drop would work nicely. Does anyone have any suggestions on what springs, struts, shocks, etc I should use? Should I considering buying a kit together or buying just springs and struts individually. Anything I should think about besides those two basic parts? I don't want to spend more than $800 give or take at the most if possible. Hopefully someone can help with some suggestions, websites, etc.... Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah man, I need to lower my 99 cobra to. Looking to do the same drop and put 18s on it. This thing has real bad ass sag and the front looks like its launching sitting still. I heard the eibach pro-kit drops the rear more than the front givng it that launching while sitting still look like it already has. The steeda sports don't seem low enough, so I don't know what to do. I've seen one with the pro-kit out back and the h&r supersports in the front and it sat very nicely. I wish they sold springs in pairs! I'm going to use the bilstiens off an 03/04 cobra or buy new ones. The used ones will save alot of money! And we are going to need c/c plates, i'm going with the maxiummotorsports ones. I am just having a hard time deciding on springs. If anyone has pictures of their cobra on lowering springs, please post it. Thank You!

wolfbbb said:
Go to www.maximummotorsports.com and look at their Coil Over set up.I have them on my 99 and all I can say is it's worth it.On track and street,totally adjustable,KILLER look,ect.
So if I get the coil over kit with hypercoil springs is that all I would need? Any additional parts I need to purchase as well? I want to make sure I order all I need so when I take it somwhere to install it they will have everything. Thanks for the help.

well this doesnt answer your question
but I have hypercoil springs on my 99. not the coil overs, and I like them alot, although the front is not slammed. I do like that ready to launch look sitting still rather then the snow plow, but basically from the side, the stance is completely even. I cant stand the eibachs I used to have because it never lowers the rear enough, basically only the front, but I hear that is best for handling.

Josh95GT said:
So if I get the coil over kit with hypercoil springs is that all I would need? Any additional parts I need to purchase as well? I want to make sure I order all I need so when I take it somwhere to install it they will have everything. Thanks for the help.

If you get the MM front coilover kit and the rear IRS coilover kit, it will include everything you need suspension wise. I have the MM Bilstein/Hypercoil kits on my 01 Cobra and it is awsome. Call MM and they will talk to you about which spring rate to use for your application. I use 350 fronts and 550 rears, for a street/autocross setup, and it handles great, I really don't no the limits of this suspension, but I would love to put it on a skid pad one day. I'm sure it would easily pull over 1.0 lateral G. But, back to your question... MM also suggested that I get the chassis package (subs, strut tower, k brace) which I was planning on anyway, but you will need all that stuff once you have such a good suspension. With a suspention that good you don't want the other parts (like the body) flexing. It all came out to just over $2K w/ shipping from CA to FL for the front and rear coilover kits and the chassis package. It was a great investment in my opinion, and it makes my Cobra a bast to drive. Give the MM support line a call, they were very nice and helped me get what I wanted out of my suspension. I hope this helps.

Also, you can download the installation intructions from the MM web site so you can see everything that is involved.

Sorry been gone,everything is included and You can install it all your self.Save the money all you will need is a spring compressor simple tools and time.It is not to difficult as said call MM They are good people to work with..BTW all the directions are included.If you have more questions I'll watch now that I'm back.

My 2 cents... I have the Kenny Brown Springs and like them. I also have Bilstiens off an '04 and MM CC plates, but haven't installed the CC plates yet. After you drop the car, drive it for about 500 miles & then get an alignment. You may not need the CC plates at all. That way you can spend the money on getting the bushings replaced. One last thing since we are talking about suspension... I would recommend getting an IRS brace. I have seen what can happen when you don't have one and it is a cheap way for peice of mind.

I had the eibachs on my 99 cobra and I like the way it looked and road. much better than stock. but if you want it done right coilovers is the way to go. but since I am cheap I will be going with h&r (not saying they are cheap, just dont cost as much as coilovers) for my 03. love the drop that it gives.