99 v6 mustang white smoke

fallenskater87

Feb 15, 2011
tx
i recently bought a 99 v6 stang it had been sitting for a year and i was told the radiator had a hole and the battery wouldnt hold a charge so i bought the radiator and battery and put them in and put some fresh premiuim gas w gas treatment and had to push start the car to get it started. when i drove it home i couldnt let the rpm below 1800 or it would die. it also has been puffing out white smoke at lower rpm. in fifth gear the car wouldnt get above 2000rpm no matter how far i pushed the accelerator. at first i suspected the fuel filter might be clogged so i changed it and still had the same problem. i drove it around the block a few times (still having to push start it) and its still getting hot. also had trouble going up a mild incline i even had to shift from 2nd to 1st to accelerate up the incline. when i push started it after getting it home it shot out some black crud from the tailpipe and started puffing white smoke immediately. im going to check the thermostat tomorrow but it isnt leaking any coolant also the oil filler cap is busted will be getting a new one tomorrow also. can anyone help ? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

from what ive been reading on other peoples posts i was thinking it might be a head gasket although i havent seen any water in the oil or oil in the radiator but i havent had it very long. is there any other way to tell if it could be the head gasket ?i have the reciepts for plugs and wires that the previous owner said he put on less than 1000 miles before sitting it... if it is the head gasket i was told about this stuff called steel seal supposed to be a cheap fix for head gaskets so i wouldnt have to strip this motor down have u heard anything about it? is it legit? i appreciate the feedback and anything else u can tell me would be a huge help
thanks

it might work for a quick fix....but it is gonna be that much of a mess later and most likely is not gonna help much. you can do a head gasket job in a day easy. if you are not familiar with working on cars, you can pick up a haynes or chilton manual for your mustang and it will walk you through everything. coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant is one of the main signs , but your head gasket might not be that far gone yet. white smoke is def an accurate hint of a head gasket. its def cheaper to do it yourself than to send it to a shop. rockauto.com will have the parts you need for cheap.