Brakes A Case Of The Clunks: Brakes/suspension Noise

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello!

Once again new to the site, so forgive me as I am sure its been asked before.

I am the new owner of a 90GT and It makes quite the earth-shattering rattle sound over bumps and I believe it's coming from the front brakes. The sound disappears entirely when I depress the brake pedal.

When I let off the brake pedal and go over a bump the clanking sound returns.

I had the car up in the air today. I didn't feel an extensive play in the wheel bearings. No obvious damage to the sway bar links or ball joints, So I took the brakes apart. (see pics)

The pads and rotors themselves look decent, I've seen a lot worse. The caliper looks like it's rattling enough that its making contact with the rotor while it spins causing the shinny area on the inside.(see pics) I took everything apart, cleaned and lubricated and still have the same problem.

Now I purchased the car a couple weeks ago and the guy I bought it from said he replaced the caliper pins in an attempt to fix the problem, which has me wondering, Is it possible I have the wrong ones? They aren't from LMR but they do look like this:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-H5012K/1987-93-Mustang-50L-Front-Brake-Caliper-Bolt-Hardware-Kit

Perhaps they aren't long enough? Honestly I'm a little stumped.

It's also possible that I'm missing more hardware or insulators? Is it possible that I'm a dummy and looking at the wrong part for this problem? I'm open to anything, so by all means let me know!

Thanks in advance for in assistance!

Attachments

• IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2115.JPG
    IMG_2115.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2119.JPG
    IMG_2119.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 318
  • Sponsors (?)

You don't say how many miles on the car not that it would really matter, I would say to inspect the lower control arm bushings, shock/strut attachment points,
Are you certain the problem is in the front?
The pads are right and left specific, I think.

The brake pads are specific to the side of the car. If you put them on the wrong side, they'll install just fine, but now the oval holes are oriented wrong, and they allow the caliper assembly to rattle up and down against the pins. Installed properly, the flats on the ovals prevent this. The pads will be stamped "LH" (driver side) and "RH" (passenger side).

The brake pads are specific to the side of the car. If you put them on the wrong side, they'll install just fine, but now the oval holes are oriented wrong, and they allow the caliper assembly to rattle up and down against the pins. Installed properly, the flats on the ovals prevent this. The pads will be stamped "LH" (driver side) and "RH" (passenger side).

Hmmm... I didn't install these pads originally, but I suppose that could be the problem.

I definitely think the caliper is rattling up and down because of how it's gotten shinny on the inside of it next to the piston.

I'll check the pads and see if they are on the wrong sides. There is definitely up and down play in the caliper.

I've seen this issue before, and it usually is a cause of the pads having wide slots that the pins fit into creating a lot of slop. The size of these holes varies between the different brands of pads. It's also possible the slip has worn out the opposite side in the caliper that receives the pin, causing even more movement there.

Reman calipers and pads are cheap, I'd probably just go through the effort of replacing it all at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen this issue before, and it usually is a cause of the pads having wide slots that the pins fit into creating a lot of slop. The size of these holes varies between the different brands of pads. It's also possible the slip has worn out the opposite side in the caliper that receives the pin, causing even more movement there.

Reman calipers and pads are cheap, I'd probably just go through the effort of replacing it all at this point.

The pads were definitely the wrong side. However the noise is continuing. I think the holes in the pads that the slides run through are part of the problem. They are huge!

I figured new parts were in my future, but was hoping for a quick fix. Would rather spend the money on go-fast parts. Oh well.

I appreciate the help guys!

I guess I'm kinda backwards, I sort out my brakes and suspension for how I'm gonna drive the car and then work on getting it fast :doh:

That was really more a figure of speech, lol.

I just meant the car is stock enough that it still even hase the factory exhaust on it. Would have been a touch more exciting to do something with that this weekend.