a few questions with fan swap

David Pepiton

Dec 17, 2011
Laveen, Arizona
ok im getting ready to do a electric fan swap with my aluminum radiator upgrade. so I have a 3 core radiator and two slim electric fans going on they are all mounted and wires are ready to be connected just waiting for a day off to install it now my question is what is a good place to pull a 12 volt ignition on? i was thinking the washer pump but I'm not sure if its switch on or constant 12v the reason im thinking the washer pump is because I don't have one. another question what can I do about the overflow? I don't want the stupid check fluid level light or any of that but I'm not sure I will be able to keep the stock overflow. any help would be great I'm planing on doing this Friday.

oh and yes I've done the 3g swap already

• Sponsors (?)

Pull it straight from the battery side of your starter solenoid if you don't want to pull it from anywhere else. If you try to pull that much amperage from your washer pump circuit, it'll pop the fuse...repeatedly. That wire isn't rated to carry that much current, let alone for extended periods of time. I'm gonna take a guess and hope you used relays to isolate the fans and either you've installed a temp switch, or an activation wire from a low amp source for the remote switch. If you run straight power wires on a switch inside the car, that's a good way to torch wires-even if there is an inline fuse-and have a small religious experience.

In a nutshell, high amp source straight off the battery or solenoid through a relay, low amp activation off a/c power source at fuse box, or something similar. Ensure grounds are clean and secure.

The power I was looking to pull from the washer pump would only be the 12v ignition switch on for the fan controller and yes I'm using a relay and its a probe style fan controller. I was going to use the battery side of the solenoid for constant 12v power and just ground straight to the battery.