Abandoned 1978 Mustang II back to life!

• Sponsors (?)

I like the way he drilled that out. For an ameteur like myself I know it can be done. Some guy gave up on that project when all he had to do was drill that out. Still four grand for that pile of stuff is a gamble

Watched the whole thing. Looks like you had fun. I remember being there. Mine sat from '87 to '19 when I got after it again.

Look to see what clutch set -up is in there. I had the same issue with the fork when I switched to a spec. Ended up using a hydraulic kit.

I have a t5 and rad4 car. Both use the II bell. All I had to do was cut that spring down on the new clutch cables. It's too long and binds up before pulling the fork far enough forward. It's honestly not even needed if you have the cable adjusted correctly and the pressure plate springs are working properly.

He needs fatter tires. Those 75 or 80's just cannot hook up.

Awesome seeing more of these being resurrected!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a t5 and rad4 car. Both use the II bell. All I had to do was cut that spring down on the new clutch cables. It's too long and binds up before pulling the fork far enough forward. It's honestly not even needed if you have the cable adjusted correctly and the pressure plate springs are working properly.
The reason I went with the hydraulic was because there was not a stock clutch replacement pressure plate available at the time and I went with a new spec clutch from CAR. Then the angle of the clutch fork was (in my opinion) way to sharp. Just as he shows in the video. I suspect the previous owner had to do the same and it was one of the problems that made him give up. The spec pressure plate is much narrower in cross section than the original.

That makes sense. With the stock pressure plate and the MDL stock like pressure plate the fork is almost all the way forward in the opening. With a shorter pressure plate I would probably not have enough throw to disengage the clutch.