Advise On Throttle Body 65mm Or 70mm With Modded Motor

treeves35

May 23, 2011
Hello,
I have recently finished my 89 Mustang LX project and I am wondering if I could ask for a little advice from the experts. I am wondering what if any gains I would see if from upgrading to a 70mm throttle body from the 65mm I have now, below are Mods on my motor and I have also listed the specs of the howards cam below the mods. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. also if anyone has any suggestions on how to get a little more HP please let me know. it has been tuned by dallas Mustangs and is pushing 270 hp at rear and 305 t.

302 BOARED TO 306 SHORT BLOCK WITH FORGED INTERNALS BUILT BY DOMINATOR MOTORS IN FT WORTH TX
GT40P HEADS COMPELTELY WORKED NEW VALVES, SEALS AND GUIDES
EXPLORER GT40 UPPER AND LOWER INTAKE
65MM THROTTLE BODY
76MM MASS AIR FLOW
24 POUND INJECTORS
COLD AIR INTAKE
1.6 ROLLER ROCKERS

CAM SPECS BELOW.

Cam Part No.
Cam & Lifter Set Part No.
Duration Advertised
IN
EX
Duration @ .050"
IN
EX
Valve Lift w/1.60 Rockers
IN
EX
Lobe Separation Angle
Intake Centerline
IN
EX
Notes

CL222755-12
Hyd.
Hyd.

• Sponsors (?)

I am wondering what if any gains I would see if from upgrading to a 70mm throttle body from the 65mm

Well your GT40 intake is 65mm, so unless it has been ported I see no real benefit spending the mondy switching from a 65mm throttle body to a 70mm throttle body.

also if anyone has any suggestions on how to get a little more HP please let me know.

More horsepower? Aluminum heads, and better intake. Trick Flow top end kit!!!

With your current set up, a 70mm throttle body will only be worth a handful of horsepower, if any at all. I'd hang onto your 65mm unit and wait until you upgrade the heads and intake (if you ever plan on doing that) before looking into a throttle body upgrade at this point.

You're better off upgrading your exhaust components than your intake. A set of Long Tube headers and high flow H/X-pipe will be worth 10X the gain of a 5mm jump in throttle body size at this point.

the exaust was replaced also with BBK h pipe and removed the Cats. I deleted EGR and smog pump also. I have new headers but they are not long tube headers. I am looking at the 93 cobra instake and then do you think the 70mm would be justified?

dont waste your money on the cobra intake. its basically the same as the explorer intake on your car. keep the 65 and explorer intake and call it a day. you want more power put a supercharger or turbo on it.