afm cam n-61

95mustang_gt

Mar 30, 2005
Wisconsin
will afm cam n-61 be good with my setup or to big.Here is the info on the cam

302-331 c.i.d. Best performer for 302 c.i.d. at 6200/6500 shift point. Great with TFS or Edelbrock heads 24 or 30lb injectors and 80mm mas air. Recommend 4.10 or 4.30 gears. Good drivability down to 2200 rpm, lumpy idle, rpm range 2500-6500, needs 2800 to 3100 converter.specs 224/236 dur and 545int/565ex

Here is what im running
sealed powered forge pistons
Edelbrock performer heads with comp springs
Staged 3 ported cobra intake
#24lbs and pro-m 75mm
65mm throttle body
Rest of the mods in my sig.
I do plan on a supercharger or zex kit with 125 shot pretty soon.

thanks
Jesse

• Sponsors (?)

These are the @ .050 specs for the N61: AFM N-61 228/236 .544/.568

You will need more gear and a good converter. It is a good cam from the cars i've seen with it. I just don't think it will work as good as it should in a low geared heavy sn95 convertable with a stock converter.

In a 5spd fox body it would run very good.

Btw, whats a "stage 3" cobra intake?

If you want a more track oriented car...I would get it.

You won't appreicate the low rpm bucking and "wimpyness" it has off idle and a bit above.

I would go for another cam that better suites your needs and car setup with what you have.

Yeah, what is a stage 3 Cobra intake?

I like how AFM says it has a lumpy idle. We run that cam in my friends 306 and it doesn't chop as hard as my FTI cam.

I know Mark German on here and corral runs that cam in a n/a 306 with afr 165 heads and a heavily ported cobra intake with 4.10 gears. He runs low 11's @ 117 ish. Don't expect that in a heavy sn95 vert with incorrect gearing and a stock converter.

But for your sake, you can let the nitrous be your gear. A tuned 125hp dry shot is no joke :D

My untuned (very lean) 100 dry shot was very fun. I want nitrous again, but I don't wanna deal with tuning headaches and consequences.

I'm quite confident that AFM doesn't say that there cam hits harder than any other cam...lumpy idle is usually a general comment about how it will act at lower rpms. General.

What does sound prove. Ever heard a nice blower cam...pretty sleeperesk if you ask me.

Lumpy idle is how it sounds while its idling :)

But you missed my point completly. It had nothing to do with cam A sounding harder than cam B ;)

Yes i've heard AFM blower cams.

Grn92LX said:
These are the @ .050 specs for the N61: AFM N-61 228/236 .544/.568

You will need more gear and a good converter. It is a good cam from the cars i've seen with it. I just don't think it will work as good as it should in a low geared heavy sn95 convertable with a stock converter.

In a 5spd fox body it would run very good.

Btw, whats a "stage 3" cobra intake?

Well I do plan i getting a 3000 stall or swap to a t5 or better.I know my vert is heavy but when i drop the new motor in, I do plan on take some weight off.
With the cobra intake i meant "stage 3 ported" from what the guy said that i bought it from.Is a dry shot better then a wet shot.

Its just that i have the motor on the engine stand right now with a trickflow stage 1 cam in it.I just want to get a cam that is just rite for my combo,so i dont have to tear into the engine again.What cam will you guys recommand?

thanks for the info guys

Jesse

On motor it won't run as good as it can if you had the proper gearing for it. But on spray, look out, it'll run very hard. A stick car with 4.30 gears would really wake it up but the 4.30's will be overkill wit the nitrous. That is why I said let the nitrous be your gear. I have good expectations of my friends 306 with this cam once we have it back out. I can't talk about the combo over the internet though, sorry.

Is a dry shot better then a wet shot.

I've had both and I preferred my dry kit. Its easier to use and hook up. IMO its safer because you dont have to worry about a fuel solenoid going bad and then you're only spraying n2o in. For a dry kit use a 255 high pressure pump.