AFP....worth the drive?

idaho_88

Dec 1, 2005
Boise,Idaho
Whats up NW,
I will be receiving my turbo kit from B&G turbo, early next month. I am sending off a PMAS blow thru to get recalibrated and will have everything on by the 2-3 week in June. My question is, Would it be worth it for me to have it tuned with my Anderson PMS by AFP? With my elevation being ~3000 feet, would it need retuned after making the trip back to Idaho?

I would also like to come do a trip through OR and WA for about a week, thanks everyone.

• Sponsors (?)

just tune it yourself.............you already have the pms so why just read up and learn how to get it runnin good. BTW im running a turbo setup with a pmas 3" tube and mine didnt need much adjustment at all using my pms. If you tune it yourself you will have so much more understanding of your car..

Whats up NW,
I will be receiving my turbo kit from B&G turbo, early next month. I am sending off a PMAS blow thru to get recalibrated and will have everything on by the 2-3 week in June. My question is, Would it be worth it for me to have it tuned with my Anderson PMS by AFP? With my elevation being ~3000 feet, would it need retuned after making the trip back to Idaho?

I would also like to come do a trip through OR and WA for about a week,

thanks everyone.

What and where is AFP? I'm in Albany, OR. and will be needing a good tuner soon also. Thanks!

i know na that matters but shouldnt it NOT matter with forced induction? Depending on the altitude the power adder may have to work a little harder to make x psi...

With a turboed car it makes LESS of a difference, however it is still relevant. Have you ever heard the term cold, dense air? These conditions are always optimal for power and when your alititude changes so does the density of the air. Turbos have the benefit of design where the turbo spools until it achieves what the wastegate tells it to. Us supercharged folks lose boost at higher altitudes due to the difference in air.

Either way, tune it yourself but begin conservative. Good luck!:nice:

he is running a turbo....... like i said, the turbo will still make the same boost for the most part. :shrug: Still would tune it myself. I was referring to turbocharged when talking about his boosted setup, should have elaborated. When are you supercharger guys gonna leave the stone age anyway? :D

just messin around..

he is running a turbo....... like i said, the turbo will still make the same boost for the most part. :shrug: Still would tune it myself. I was referring to turbocharged when talking about his boosted setup, should have elaborated. When are you supercharger guys gonna leave the stone age anyway? :D

just messin around..

:D Well, when I have the money to be a high roller like you turbo guys! :p

When I bought my s/c it was the least expensive option and turbo kits were nowhere less than 6k unless you could build your own:(

Turbos sure can be a pain in the butt. My car spikes at 20psi, holds 17, and then drops as redline nears.

Superchargers are so simple, no spikes, no fuel cuts because of over boost or boost spikes, no boost creep, etc. They just do what you tell tem to. Turbo systems seem to have amind of their own some times. Even with the technology, sometimes the best results come from stone age turbo management.

Anyways... another + for the AFP guys from me.

Heck yeah its worth the drive, I go there every day:rlaugh:

I doubt Jeff would tune a PMS system, for a couple reasons- but mainly due to your location/elevation. Also, as a general rule, we do not usually tune cars that we do not build, but Chung at Blue Oval (our sister company) does. The PMS system is targeted at end-users, it should be easy to learn on your own really, I would put the tuning money into a wideband if you havent already got one, and tune it yourself.

Turbos sure can be a pain in the butt. My car spikes at 20psi, holds 17, and then drops as redline nears.

Superchargers are so simple, no spikes, no fuel cuts because of over boost or boost spikes, no boost creep, etc. They just do what you tell tem to. Turbo systems seem to have amind of their own some times. Even with the technology, sometimes the best results come from stone age turbo management.

Anyways... another + for the AFP guys from me.

You are kidding about "Superchargers are so simple" right? Must be talking about those baby roots style ones.:shrug: If not, you can stop by and I will let you stick your head under the hood of a few and let me know whats so simple. hehe

AFP is worth the drive but hey what do I know.:rolleyes:

You are kidding about "Superchargers are so simple" right? Must be talking about those baby roots style ones.

:D As I was typing that, I was even thinking, "I hope they dont think Im saying the high end centrifugal systems are cake."

It was mostly in regards to roots blowers. I dont have any experience with the centrifugal systems, but I do know they get a little more tricky than the roots blowers. Ive played with roots blowers a little bit.