After All These Years I Finally Got Another Mustang

ShaneB79

Sep 27, 2016
About 17 years ago I had a little notchback 5speed 5.0. Didn't have it long but I loved that car. I always wanted another one and for years my wife has wanted a stang of her own. Last month I found a good deal on a used 15 model 6speed 5.0 with 4k on it so I bought it for her. I really like that car but the problem is that its hers and I have to ask her to drive it everytime. Also nearly every power adder voids the warranty unless you go to the dealership and thats no fun. I took it to the dragstrip last weekend and really had a good time but felt bad beating on something with a bigger payment than my house. So today I picked up a roller 1990 LX hatch 5 speed car for a grand. It's straight, rust free, already has the 5 lug swap and a 4.30 gear.

My plans that are very flexible depending on what I find a deal on is to go with explorer heads and intake, custom cam. 1.75" longtube headers, P/S and AC delete on a stock bottom end Probably some 8" draglites. I'm pretty handy with a wrench as I spent about 10 years working on boats, 5 of that high performance boats before I moved to a desk job. Where I am lacking in knowledge though is in the suspension. I understand getting the car to hook is just as important as building the power.

One of the goals of this car is to beat my cousins corvette that my wife's
781320D5-A585-41AE-9E61-E9D002CC178F_zpshkw8m7u2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] coyote won't. Other than that I just want a fun street and strip car

I'll be cruising the threads trying to learn about suspension setups but if anyone has any knowledge they'd like to share I'd appreciate it.

781320D5-A585-41AE-9E61-E9D002CC178F_zpshkw8m7u2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

So you're looking for a suspension recommendations for straight line performance that is also streetable correct? If so here's my .02.

Check into some front coilover springs in a 14" 150-175# spring rate with some adjustable struts. I like the Strange engineering units. They are relatively cheap and allow a lot of valve adjustment by simply turning a knob on the units. You will need to address the rear suspension also. Some good company's are Maximum Motorsports,Team Z Motorsports,and UPR. You can run the factory springs but a good alternative is the TeamZ drag spring. They lower the rear slightly over a stock spring and have a better spring rate for traction. You'll need some good upper and lower rear control arms,torque box reinforcements(there are kits out there),some good shocks(again strange is my choice),and most importantly some frame connectors(weld ins not bolt on).

Also to run with a modern Vette(11sec et's) you're going to need a significant power increase. A simple 302 h/c/i probably won't get it done. You'll either need more cubic inches and/or a power adder(blower,turbo,nitrous). Really with a 3000 lbs car,the correct tire/chassis,suspension combo you'll need about 400+rwhp.

Welcome to Stangnet and the car looks like a solid starting point. Good luck and continue to post your results.