All AODE folks - need an observation

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Hey folks,

I just need a quick observation from y'all.

When you're coming to a stop, do you ever get a clunk out of the drivetrain (particularily on the 2-1 shift as you are almost stopped)?

Thanks.

EDIT: Matt and Paul, this felt like a 'tweener for Tech or Talk but I wanted to try the Tech audience. Move as appropriate. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey folks,

When you're coming to a stop, do you ever get a clunk out of the drivetrain (particularily on the 2-1 shift as you are almost stopped)?

Thanks.

EDIT: Matt and Paul, this felt like a 'tweener for Tech or Talk but I wanted to try the Tech audience. Move as appropriate. Thanks.

Not on mine.

before i swapped the aode for the t5,mine would clunk at the same moment as yours.a couple of years ago i had the aode rebuilt after it tore it's self to hell.it clunked before and after the rebuild.i never did figure it out ,was a very annoying problem that i figured was common to the aode.

Hey folks,

Thanks.

Yes I have noticed that occasionally with mine and I've got used to it. I don't see it as a problem with it being so mild. Do you know any reason for it?
I had my AODE rebuilt 6 months ago, a Transgo shift kit installed, new urethane transmission mount, and new OEM rubber engine mounts.

Hey folks,

Thanks.

Hey JT,
Yep...on the stock one with 66K and the new built one as well with 40 miles on it....with the stall.....never noticed it with the stock TC but it was not in it with me for long........

yup! ive actually asked a question here like that before i believe. but yes, i used to think it was somethin loose, but i KNEW it was coming from my tranny, especially on what you described. ive NEVER heard it until the tranny started to slowly decrease in performance. it has since **** the bed and is awaiting warmer weather for a new transplant and a rebuilt TC

Thanks everyone. :nice:

I think I'm losing the trans. I have always had a light clunk when decelerating quickly to a stop but it's getting worse. Since I always had the clunk, I wasn't sure if it was normal. Doesn't sound like it necessarily is.
And I also have an occasional false-neutral out of first as I leave the house. That's got me thinking something crappy (more than the 1-2 accumulator) is going out. I gotta get on the ball and figure it out since this is the DD.

Thanks again guys. :nice:

Thanks everyone. :nice:

I think I'm losing the trans. I have always had a light clunk when decelerating quickly to a stop but it's getting worse. Since I always had the clunk, I wasn't sure if it was normal. Doesn't sound like it necessarily is.
And I also have an occasional false-neutral out of first as I leave the house. That's got me thinking something crappy (more than the 1-2 accumulator) is going out. I gotta get on the ball and figure it out since this is the DD.

Thanks again guys. :nice:

hear you on that bro! im just going through all this bs now. luckily i was able to have another being rebuilt as the tranny as inching its way out of life. backed it into the yard on a Friday, left it there until Sat morn when i had to go to work and didnt move.

I realize this post is way old, but I just now saw it. If any of you are having a clunk......check your u-joints first and foremost before tearing your tranny apart. when the tranny slows down as you're slowing down the drive shaft will settle into the lower speed and when it downshifts into a higher rpm it will kink of get kicked into place and clunk on you, just my 2 cents

mine has clunked when coming to a stop 2-1 shift. it sucks. also rebuilt. i just detuned some pressure in the tune to soften it up... and made the downshift happen a little sooner so your not standing still when it downshifts