all you TREMEC TR3550 guys:

102506_2001-vi.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

sweet, thanks for the pic and info, dude! i'm assuming it's safe/accurate to use your measurements? (sure is nice of you to give that info!)

any issues w/ the driveshaft rubbing on the e-brake bracket?

derek: good to know! i thought the crossmember that car had was the original, just wasn't completely sure.

update on my tranny:
took it to Hanley Motorsports in PA. Guy does nothing buy manual trannys specializing in Tremecs. Anyway, I'd been having vib issues that i attributed to the driveshaft out of balance, but that wasn't it. Here the tail shaft had a nasty bend in it. Like really obvious bend off by quite a few thousands. So the guy is going to bore it out and put a stronger larger one it to replace it.

He said that is a common problem with these trannys if you get a good solid launch it will bend it and eventually shatter. All said and done, it will be $800 to pretty much rebuild it and put all my new parts in. But it occured to me that maybe that is a problem that alot of guys are having and they attribute it to the mounting angle. He said hands down that was my RPM related vibration problem. Just thought i'd post up my results in case anyone was have a similar problem.

update on my tranny:
took it to Hanley Motorsports in PA. Guy does nothing buy manual trannys specializing in Tremecs. Anyway, I'd been having vib issues that i attributed to the driveshaft out of balance, but that wasn't it. Here the tail shaft had a nasty bend in it. Like really obvious bend off by quite a few thousands. So the guy is going to bore it out and put a stronger larger one it to replace it.

He said that is a common problem with these trannys if you get a good solid launch it will bend it and eventually shatter. All said and done, it will be $800 to pretty much rebuild it and put all my new parts in. But it occured to me that maybe that is a problem that alot of guys are having and they attribute it to the mounting angle. He said hands down that was my RPM related vibration problem. Just thought i'd post up my results in case anyone was have a similar problem.

Wow, never heard of that prob... That would explain a lot of the mysteries though.

damn, that sucks, prokiller. thanks for posting that up, though.

we got the tranny in a while ago. man, what a difference!!! there is a slight whine, but from what i understand, it's normal w/ these tremecs.

vibration we didn't really worry about yet. we installed it mainly to see if i had to take it back for warranty purposes, but it seems to be in great shape, as i hoped. once i get back into town we'll talk to the driveline angle--it is obviously V-shaped an not straight, so we're gonna try the spacer/washer method and hopefully that'll take care of it.

i really appreciate the comments/tips/suggestions from you guys--saved me a lot of headaches. cheers, gentlemen!

Not sure if you used a spacer on the D/S, but I've been running mine for a year and I don't have any MPH related vibes. I can do 100+ with no vibes at all. I am having some RPM vibe problems, but it's nothing to do with the Tremec!

Also, did you refill it with GM synchromesh fluid? I used ATF in mine but it grinded for some reason sometimes going into 3rd. I put in the GM stuff and viola! GONE.