also in need of advice on 06 gt upgrades

hotroddaddy1972

Feb 7, 2008
I recently purchased a gently used 2006 just outta warranty by mileage(just turned 36k)....anyhoo....I want to do some very mild upgrades for performance.....i need suggestions on your guys opinions on what is the best cold air induction.....(k/n,bbk,jlt,etc...) do I NEED a tune with the cold air?....I have seen mixed reviews on this......if a tune IS needed,what,who, where,when?

also thinking about exhaust......Im down to two maybe three companies, please chime in with your fav.....im thinking about JBA....i love the sound, but like the FRPP also, lets hear yours and what you guys suggest.

then I want to get 3:73 gears......and a hurst short throw shifter...whats your guys feelings about these things?

please let me know of any other ideas you al may have.....do you think with any of the combos above ill get over 325-350 hp?

thank you everyone for all the advice..........jeff :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

First off, congrats on the ride:nice:
To hit the 300 RWHP mark, you're going to need CAI/tune(only 2 I know that don't require a tune are K&N and WMS)and I don't think you can go wrong with C&L or JLT, under drive pullies, either O/R H or X pipe, aluminum driveshaft(won't gain you HP, but will free up power by reducing drivetrain loss. To gain more there are cams which are fairly pricey(parts & labor), but can net you around 20 or so HP and some form of headers(either equal length shorties or long tubes-you'll get many different opinions on that. I've seen people gain around 10-20 HP depending on who and what dyno. That all could get you close to 350 RWHP, but could cost you several thousand. As far as muffler choices, there is a sticky thread with our submitted combos and clips and thoughts on them.

JLT, C&L, K&N all good intakes....Yes a tune is needed I recommend SCT Xcal2 or 3, Brenspeed seems to have a good following here they use primarily JLT and predator. My "Tune Guy" is awesome, one of the first to S-charge an s197 I can see what he can do for you PM me if you wish.

:nice:
JLT, C&L, K&N all good intakes....Yes a tune is needed I recommend SCT Xcal2 or 3, Brenspeed seems to have a good following here they use primarily JLT and predator. My "Tune Guy" is awesome, one of the first to S-charge an s197 I can see what he can do for you PM me if you wish.

C&L and SCT2 is what both Techs at Brenspeed have recommended to me:nice:

Of course a custom tune on a dyno, with a good tuner and YOUR car will give you a better, more precise tune. Then anything canned,, even Brenspeed.

Some people have hit 300 rwhp with just a CAI and a tune, but that is not the norm and you could argue about the dyno used. A CAI, off road x/h-pipe and a custom dyno tune by a good tuner should get you 300, depending on your car. Add to that quality long tube headers (kooks, JBA, SLP, ARH, throw in some aftermarket motor mounts while your at it), CMCV deletes and what ever other bolt ons you please (throttle body, intake spacer, basically items not really proven to give much power N/A) and you could be looking at 320+ rwhp. The stock mufflers flow well enough to not bother with IMO. After that, a one piece aluminum driveshaft and an aluminum flywheel will free up extra power, but I wont guess how much.

Now you can play with cams and ported and polished heads, and the intake can be port-matched to the heads. These are expensive mods, but can be worth a significant amount of power. I haven't seen a car with all that done, but my guess is in the 360-380 rwhp range. Add a 302 stroker with 11/1 compression and you could be talking more like 430, though it would be cheaper and easier just to throw a blower on it.
Dan