Engine Aluminum Radiator Cap

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
Hey all. I don’t know if I’ve already talked about this but around a little under a year ago I installed one of those SVE radiators from LMR because my factory one was literally coming apart and my car was overheating bad. Well I don’t overheat anymore but I’m wondering if the 19 ib cap that comes on them is too much for my car. I had a particularly hard time bleeding the cooling system the other day and I noticed no coolant ever really went into the overflow.

Not really sure what this could be caused by. Car doesn’t overheat even in the summer and I do have good pressure (as noted when I got blasted in the face with thankfully not hot coolant)

• Sponsors (?)

I belive the stock cap is a 16lbs..Don't think an old heater core or hoses can take much more pressure then that,even if the new rad. can.

A Stant Lev-R-vent cap should be OEM equipment. When you lift the lever on the cap and wait to turn it, it will vent pressure through the tank or overflow tube instead of in your face. The lever also locks the cap on when lowered. This is the style. I did not look up the application.

I've had a couple of the SVE radiators. I finally stopped my problems by using a Ford F150 cap that's 13#. I feel better about the lower pressure as well.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I still had my old 16# cap and it actually fit the sve radiator. I haven’t driven it enough yet to notice a difference except for that a bunch of coolant got sucked back into the radiator. Although when coming home tonight I checked the overflow tank and noticed occasional bubbles almost as if it was being burped. This was with the car off. However I never see bubbles in the actual radiator

I have the same rad and can't get my coolant to recover from the tank, I'd like to use an OEM cap but have also seen that only the LMR cap fits their rad. I'm going to dig out my old cap and try it next weekend.
I’m starting to think the same. After some time using the cap from my old radiator I don’t have to use any pressure to put it which worries me. I’ll probably check out some of the suggestions left in this thread though

I just bought a factory replacement 1996 F150 cap for a truck with the 5.0L engine. If you can cross reference any of those numbers and find a motorcraft that's what I would get.

Screenshot_20210407-120523_Chrome.jpg