Am I Running too Hot?

Kevin R.

New Member
Jun 3, 2004
473
0
0
Ohio
Ok, just got the Autometer water gauge and so now I know how hot the thing is instead of just being "Wow, it's up to O".

The other day it was running consistantly at 210, but it was pretty cold and I didn't kick it in any.

Anyways, we thought that was kind of warm, so we put in a 180* thermostat.

Today I was driving, it was probably 80*+ outside.

It went up to near 225-230 and ran there until I pulled over and let her cool down. It got up there a few more times but went back down.

The coolant was a little low, could this have caused it to go this high?

Also, I have UD pulleys, but still think this is too hot.

Any information would be appreciated..

:nonono:
 
I wouldn't beat on it too hard when it's up in the 220 range, but it's not going to hurt your engine. A lot of cars run a bit warmer than that (heck, Panteras were famous for running up around 260). Definitely make sure your coolant is topped off -- it shouldn't make a difference unless it's low enough to allow air into the system, then you would run quite a bit hotter, but you might not find out about it (the sensor measures water temperature, not air temperature :D).

Dave
 
Ok, just scared me to see it getting that hot with the new thermostat. Fan kicks on at 212 and we checked all that out. Thermostat opened right when the gauge read 180 (Autometer accuracy = :nice: ).

It was not that hot of a day though, 80 but with a nice cool breeze. So I'm scared to see it on a really hot day. :(

Thanks for your reply Dave.

Coolant was down to the "FULL COLD" line when the car was hot. Don't know if thats low enough to allow air in or not. :shrug:
 
Kevin R. said:
Coolant was down to the "FULL COLD" line when the car was hot. Don't know if thats low enough to allow air in or not. :shrug:
Should be fine. My lazy ass has let it get that low several times.

When does your engine get the hottest? Interestingly enough, mine gets really hot on the freeway, after it's had a while (30 minutes or so) to heat soak. With the A/C on, I'll get up to 225 or so. Much higher and I turn off the A/C :). But on the back roads, even if it's warm outside, the A/C is on, and I'm beating on it a little, it won't heat up much above 200. I think it's the constant relatively high RPM on the freeway that makes it get so hot. :shrug:

Dave
 
Hmmm. Maybe your radiator has a lot of crud in it? They're so tiny to begin with...

I can't think of why else it would run so toasty, as long as it has enough coolant, no blockages or air pockets, and a functioning pump. Maybe you're running real lean. :)

Dave
 
Car does have a heavy scent of gas.

Is this bad?? :shrug:

A/F Gauge is coming but as always, just a light show, but can't pass up for 20$. :nice: Maybe it'll tell me SOMETHING useful.

Don't know what to do now besides new radiator. :shrug:

Could the U/D Pulleys cause THIS much heat?
 
chrismillion said:
who believes in the 160* thermo is me!
If your running temperature is over the opening temperature of the thermostat, then it doesn't really help to lower it.

Kevin R. said:
Car does have a heavy scent of gas.

Is this bad??
No, that's normal with an offroad pipe.

The pullies don't help, as they underdrive the water pump. I'm not sure they would cause a huge difference, though. You might try this -- dump the coolant and replace it, but instead of going 50/50, go heavier on the water, say 75/25, and then dump in a bottle of water wetter. That may help you cool off some -- water cools better than antifreeze, and water wetter will help even more (but it doesn't work on the antifreeze, only the water).

Dave
 
I'm sure there's a few out there that know by now i promote the hell out of getting an aftermarket fan and ditch that stock piece of dying crap.

Sorry guys still no pics yet. Gotta get myself out to Cali and I'm to occupied making last minute plans. Haven't been around the Stang much. :notnice:
 
Do the high speed fan mod on the FAQ list. Also I cooling systems are not efficient once you start modding these cars so a aftermarket rad will help you. I would say the fan mod will give you instant results if you try this today.
What type of gas smell is coming from your car? Exhaust richness smell or raw fuel smell like spilled gas?
 
Which grommet?
Do mean the one on the filler neck?
How long ago did you have it replaced? Was it installed correctly?
Does it smell like the same problem?
Does the smell come from the rear of the car?
Are topping off the tank and spilling pehaps or does the smell stay with the car all the time?
Do you see any leaks on the ground after parking?
Have you done an inspection to see where it's leaking from?
Do you see any accumilation spots of leaking gas anywhere on the tank cover or exhaust pipes?
Does this smell only occur with a full tank?
:shrug:
 
94SC50 said:
Which grommet?
Do mean the one on the filler neck?
How long ago did you have it replaced? Was it installed correctly?
Does it smell like the same problem?
Does the smell come from the rear of the car?
Are topping off the tank and spilling pehaps or does the smell stay with the car all the time?
Do you see any leaks on the ground after parking?
Have you done an inspection to see where it's leaking from?
Do you see any accumilation spots of leaking gas anywhere on the tank cover or exhaust pipes?
Does this smell only occur with a full tank?
:shrug:
Yes when I filled up it would leak from the neck so the dealership replaced the gromet and it hasn't happened since. I still get a strong gas smell form inside the car when I start it up and then it eventually goes away. I figure only when it's completely full is when the smell appears or else i just get used to it and all my brain cells are fried by now. :crazy:
 
I'm pretty sure my scent of gas is from the O/R H-Pipe.

Anyways, checked the coolant this morning, and it was LOW, really low. Filled it up so we'll see if that makes a difference. We'll start with the littlest things and move up. :rolleyes: