And so starts another long winter

• Sponsors (?)

People are leaving conn. and Ny like crazy. Houses in Sarasota sell the same week and are filled by those two states. Hard to believe the suckers who buy the northern homes. That place will die a slow death I swear.

We have all four seasons here in Albuquerque. It'll snow a couple times in the winter and then be gone same day or next. It does get cold here. The lows will dip down in the teens pretty regularly at night. Today is about 45 and not a cloud in the sky. :cool: Albuquerque sits at about 5500'. Towards the mountains here, about 6500'.

In laws have a couple of houses in FLA. Been down there a bunch of times. Can’t get a good bagel or a good slice of pizza. I’m ok for a few days, then I go crazy. The pace is so laid back. Long Island, like the rest of this crazy state is such a grind. It’s a rat race. It conditions you to always run at WOT. But, with COVID, NYC has emptied out to the island. The property values have skyrocketed. Sellers end up getting more than they ask. And the houses sell soooo fast. Our house is probably 100k more than what we paid 10 years ago. That’s an increase of 10k a year. Not bad I guess. Have a 100x100 lot. House is about 1800 sq ft. Taxes are $8600. Ridiculous. But, just gotta grind it out til we are at retirement age. Which is gonna be at least another 15 years. Then we will leave. Probably.

I have a homestead tax thingy....Meaning they can only raise it a little every year. If you started fresh with the same house @ $3000.00 yr....How can anybody justify almost $1000 a month for government. We have little to no welfare. If your daughter gets pregnant your paying for everything. No free ride isnt that nice.
I not sure you are in Sarasota FLORIDA, welfare is rampant and easy to get if you are willing to lie, they don't check much, single mother working for the school board, 2 kids on ssi with supposed mental illness but are straight A students with possible sports scholarships waiting, oh and the youngest just had a baby and has a boyfriend (that does not work) living there too, and mom has a live in boyfriend there too. Government subsided housing.
Another example a 20 year old with a full time job living with his mom and gets $185 bucks a month food stamps!
WTF???
I have more examples but I think you get the picture.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
In laws have a couple of houses in FLA. Been down there a bunch of times. Can’t get a good bagel or a good slice of pizza. I’m ok for a few days, then I go crazy. The pace is so laid back. Long Island, like the rest of this crazy state is such a grind. It’s a rat race. It conditions you to always run at WOT. But, with COVID, NYC has emptied out to the island. The property values have skyrocketed. Sellers end up getting more than they ask. And the houses sell soooo fast. Our house is probably 100k more than what we paid 10 years ago. That’s an increase of 10k a year. Not bad I guess. Have a 100x100 lot. House is about 1800 sq ft. Taxes are $8600. Ridiculous. But, just gotta grind it out til we are at retirement age. Which is gonna be at least another 15 years. Then we will leave. Probably.
I hear you man! Crazy place we live in. I often ask myself why I stay, but some part inside of me loves it.

I not sure you are in Sarasota FLORIDA, welfare is rampant and easy to get if you are willing to lie, they don't check much, single mother working for the school board, 2 kids on ssi with supposed mental illness but are straight A students with possible sports scholarships waiting, oh and the youngest just had a baby and has a boyfriend (that does not work) living there too, and mom has a live in boyfriend there too. Government subsided housing.
Another example a 20 year old with a full time job living with his mom and gets $185 bucks a month food stamps!
WTF???
I have more examples but I think you get the picture.
Mostly federal the state doesnt give hardly anything

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Yea, winter does get old. I live in Maine and the winter is brutal. Honestly, it's tolerable for a bit but continues on too long. A little more nice weather would be welcomed. I travel for work weekly, to a different state every time. The weather in Maine doesn't really bother me when I'm in California lol. I often think about moving though and am always making notes of other places I would like to live.

Frankly, I don't know, Last I heard average income was like 25k for a single person and 75k for a household. I've noticed way more opportunity else where. Not to mention the high cost of living. Most people do alright but we all work hard. I'm certain there's better places to live.

I wouldn't get too excited about property values. Everything is going to be half off in the next 12-24 months. I've lived in the South almost my whole life. The weather here in Georgia is nice, but the the people are terrible. It's so over crowded too. When I get older, I want to move up into the Mountains just to get away from the people.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users